Chapter Thirty Four

Breya pv

I had spent hours entrapped in the silent walls of my room with nothing but my over bearing thoughts and the endless silence. I hadn't managed to rest at all. Each time I tried my mind would dwell on either the betas words or Jacksons odd behaviour.

I was completely conflicted with my emotions towards Jackson. I knew one act of good didn't replace the years of bad but I couldn't deny that for a moment I saw glimpse of the boy I once knew. I couldn't help feeling slightly concerned about him,wondering if he made it out of the fight alive.

I felt somewhat grateful toward him, he practically sacrificed himself for me after all. I couldn't figure out why, he certainly didn't gain anything from his actions. Even if he lived his reputation would be tarnished for helping me.

Each time I thought about it I'd shudder. He had seemed so confused and unsure, like he was raging a war within himself. A far cry from the dark, cruel and self assured wolf I had come to know.

I remember his eyes in the moment his wolf was telling me to run. His ice  cold stare seemed apologetic, sad even as he motioned for me to run. I couldn't shove the sadness I felt at the image. Even after all these years and all the wrong he had done, apart of my heart couldn't forget my once upon a friend.

I so desperately wanted to ask Beta colbey what happened to Jackson but I just couldn't bring myself to open my mind to him. After I left the meeting room the words I'd heard him speak practically rallied in my head.

I found myself questioning why the beta and the silver beast had sought my help in the first place. It was evident my word wasn't good enough for their council. Another reminder of my lack of place. I wasn't worthy enough to share my story, to get justice or to find a place.

I couldn't help but feel like the first chance I was given to make my own decision was born out of naivety. I don't believe the silver beast had meant to mislead me at least I hoped he hadn't. The truth of the matter was I really didn't have a choice to begin with.

He had given me a choice, to stay or to leave. To find refuge among the royal packs borders, a place to escape the darkness of the Mount rise pack and the life that I lived. In reality though it wouldn't make a difference which pack I was with I was still only ever going to be viewed as an outcast. It begged the question of where in the world did I belong?.

My mind numbing thoughts were abruptly halted as the door to my room swung open banging against the wall. Causing me to jump and scramble to get to my feet. Instantly my quick movements rattled my sore ribs, the bandage the packs doctor had given me doing little to help the pain. Despite knowing that alpha and the rest of the pack were on house arrest my instints instantly believed it was alpha who all but barreled into the room.

My head instantly bowed as I sucked in a breath trying to stop the pain in my angered ribs.

"colbey needs to see us now"

Jamie's voice was stern and held some unease as he spoke. I hadn't known him long but the one time I had he seemed warm, kind and gentle. The edge to his current tone and behaviour confused me a little but I didn't dare question him.

My normal timid fragile self back as I tried to gage the beast currently in front of me. As quickly as he came he was leaving, making me work harder to keep up with his fast pace steps. Each time I pushed myself to catch up to him in an attempt not to anger him,the more I felt my body protest.

Soon enough we in front of the pack house, murmurs of voices could be heard as people gathered seemingly waiting for Jamie. Something told me these were apart of the royal pack, something about the atmosphere felt powerful instantly making me want to retreat.

My bugging anxiety had made its presence known as I felt min skin become clammy and my heart begun to race. Already on edge with the unfamiliar and seemingly agitated Jamie only made my nerves grow.

I hadn't dared looked from the floor to see where Beta colbey was. I hadn't even thought about what he could need me for right now.

"what's going on Jamie?"

A fierce female voice spoke as the murmurs dwindled away. I didn't know who it was that spoke but she was assertive and straight to the point. Her voice strong and slightly unnerving.

"as you know we're here to gather evidence colbey needs our help, I havnt got time to explain we have five minutes to get to him before he looses his shit"

As if a silent command had been made everyone moved aside to let jamie pass. Gently he tapped my shoulder and gestured for me to follow him once he had my attention.
As soon as we were in front of the crowd of people Jamie's voice boomed leaving no room for anyone to dismiss his powerful tone.

"this way"

Only then did I realise that no one knew where we were going. It only took me a moment to figure it out as we rounded a corner past the packs hospital. My ever growing nerves seemed to be spiralling as I thought about returning to the place that held so many agonising memories.

I hadn't been here in years and I'd never thought of ever returning. Not that I had any choice. I found that I wasn't even slightly curious to see the old haggered building I'd spent most of my life in. In fact I wanted it to stay in my distant memories.

Why did colby want to go to orphanage? I couldn't shake the the gut wrenching feeling in the pit of my stomach as we neared orphanage.
Beta colbey was already there waiting for us, once he was dressed he quickly made a small introduction of me. Making my face heat with the spotlight briefly on me.

We all jsut stood there and waited for the betas instruction. I couldn't deny that he seemed to be in full blown beta mode as he marched up the path to the door.

'knock knock'

The sound of his knuckles hitting the door made me flinch. Soon the creaking of the old rusted hinges sounded as the door opened. I couldn't resist finally moving my gaze to the familiar nightmare, when the betas confused vocie called out.

"hello?"