Chapter 8

Nessa

I find myself continually checking my phone over the next couple of days for a message from Harry. And I hate myself for it, both because we are supposed to just be friends, which I wanted, and because now I am waiting by the phone for a man to contact me, like an idiot.

On Wednesday, I finish work and decide I really need to distract myself so head over to Rough Trade to see if they have any new vinyl. As I am paging through the records, my phone pings and my heart skips a beat when I see its Harry.

From Harry: Hey Ness. How's your week been so far?

Its not much but it's something. I know I should try wait a while to reply, so I don't seem desperate but I can't help myself.

To Harry: Good, just work and chill. You?

From Harry: Lots of chill, not much work. What are you up to now?

To Harry: I just finished at the studio, I'm at Rough Trade seeing if they have any new stock in.

From Harry: Ah I am so jealous! I was wondering if you are free tomorrow night and want to hang?

To Harry: What do you have in mind?

From Harry: Not sure yet. I'll meet you at your place at 7

Okay, so not a great conversation, but at least I am going to see him.

The next day I do a couple of tattoos and get some groceries and manage not to think about seeing Harry most of the day. I don't know where we are going so, I am not sure what to wear but decide on a simple black sweater, my ripped black jeans and some maroon Doc Martens. At seven on the dot, there is a knock on the door.

I open it to find Harry leaning against the door frame with a huge smile on his face and tote bags filled to the brim slung under both arms. As usual just the sight of him gets my heart racing. He is wearing some torn light blue jeans tonight, white vans, a black hoodie, with a knee length beige coat, with the Gucci Logo all over it. He also has his hair scraped back and clipped out of his face, its adorable.

"I had a huge craving for carrot cake and I thought we could make one and watch some television" he says before continuing "I hope you are happy to stay in?".

I step aside, smile and say "That sounds amazing, come on in".

He walks in and looks around before saying "Your flat is incredible, it's so you" which makes me smile.

I give him a quick tour and he asks about the art on the walls and record collection while picking up objects and studying them.

When I show him my bedroom, he makes a joke "so this is where the magic happens" which I brush off and laugh.

But I can't help feeling a little flushed, standing so close to the bed, alone with Harry thinking what he could do to me right here.

I have to stop thinking like this, we are just friends, so turn towards him and say "This cake isn't going to make itself, should we get going Mr Styles". He laughs and salutes me before walking back towards the kitchen.

The next couple of hours fly by like a blur while Harry bakes and ices the cake, I sit on the counter watching him and occasionally helping lick the bowl. We are having so much fun, I forget to worry about who he is and how attracted I am to him. Eventually he declares the cake is ready so I make us a pot of tea and we go and sit on the couch cross legged, facing each other, with the cake between us and two forks.

He watches intently as I take my fork, grab some cake and put it in my mouth.

It tastes amazing and I ask "That is heavenly Harry. Singing, acting, baking, is there anything you can't do?".

He looks beyond proud that I love the cake and starts to tuck in. We eat and talk, when suddenly he smiles and looks at me, before reaching in closer and touching my mouth softly.

I must look shocked, because he quickly states "oh you had some icing on your lip".

I smile, look down and don't say anything and we go back to eating our cake. After we can't stuff another mouthful in, I get up to put the left-over cake in the kitchen and Harry yawns and says he better get going. I walk him to the door and say "thanks for an awesome night Harry". He leans in and gives me a soft peck on the cheek before saying goodnight and promising to see me soon. As he climbs down the stairs and leaves, I find myself moving my hand up towards my face and touching the spot where his lips were.

I don't hear from him for a couple of days, and although I have no right to miss him, I hardly know him, I kind of do. I decide that since we are just friends, Harry shouldn't have to make the first move, in fact no "moves" of that sort should be made at all, so I decide to contact him.

I try give some thought to what we can do and after coming up with a really good idea I message him:

To Harry: H! Do you want to hang later?

He replies right away

From Harry: Sure, I have a meeting early evening but afterwards?

To Harry: Great, what I have in mind we can only do after 10 tonight. I'll send you the address later and make sure you bring your swimming trunks.

From Harry: Swimming trunks after 10...should I be worried

To Harry:  ,-)