Chapter 23

Harry

"Mom, Gem, please can you try act cool today? I promised her this is just breakfast and isn't some important milestone" I plead with my mom and sister.

They are sitting across from me, with huge grins on their face, maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

"And can you stop looking at me like that, you are definitely going to freak Nessa out".

They both roll their eyes before my mom says "relax sweetheart, we are just excited to meet her, don't worry it will be fine".

I look around the restaurant, with its dusty pink walls, retro furniture and a checkerboard linoleum floor. Gemma booked a table towards the back, which will hopefully give us some privacy.

Luckily, we got here a few minutes early so I have time to make sure my family doesn't embarrass me. As I nervously list in detail what they can and can't do during our meal, I look at my mom and sister across from me. My mom listens and nods in agreement kindly, she is the most important person in my life. I look a lot like her, I definitely get my dimples and smile from her. Gemma, who is rolling her eyes again, does too, and they look even more similar now they are both sporting longer dark brown hair. My mom is in skinny jeans and nautical striped jumper, while my sister is in dungarees and a light pink long sleeved shirt.

It really is awesome seeing them today, when I am on tour, I really miss them

I anxiously check the time on my phone for what must be the fifth time in maybe 10 minutes. I turn around and look towards the entrance, Nessa should be arriving soon.

At that moment I realise she has arrived and our eyes meet across the room. She looks stunning. She is wearing a long over-sized forest green coat, which makes her red hair, which is hanging free and wavy, look even more like fire. She has paired the coat with a black polo neck, high waisted jeans and patent leather Chelsea boots. I can see she is nervous as she walks over and greets me quietly.

"Hey Ness" I say as I kiss her on the cheek and we walk towards the other women in my life.

"This is my mom Anne and my sister Gemma, guys this is Nessa" I say proudly.

Both my mom and Gemma embrace Nessa as they greet her. She looks a little taken-aback but hugs them back warmly. She sits down next to me and we engage in a little small talk while we go over the menu.

We place our orders and while we wait, my mom asks "So Nessa, Harry tells us you own a tattoo studio with your family?"

Nessa looks at me and smiles before she answers "Yes, in Shoreditch with my brothers Angus and Jude. My parents started it in the 1980's, and they ran it up until they passed away when I was 16".

"Oh Nessa sweetheart I am so sorry, I didn't realise they had passed away" my mom says.

"Thanks Anne, but it was a long time ago and I really do have the greatest family. My brothers are crazy, as Harry knows, Angus is married to Letty and she is like a sister to me and they have the most wonderful twin boys. And my baby brother Jude is dating just the absolute best guy, Ravi who also works at the studio" Nessa says.

I hope my mom's questioning isn't too much, so I move my hand to Nessa's knee, without anyone seeing and give it a gentle squeeze to reassure her. She looks over to me briefly and smiles before she moves her hand under the table to interlink with mine.

Gemma starts talking to Nessa about tattoos, while I ask my mom how the rest of my family is. I can't help watching Nessa while I talk, she is laughing with Gemma about some of the crazy clients she has tattooed over the years. Nessa is like the sun; she really brightens up every room she is in.

Our food arrives, Nessa of course got the pancakes and I ordered granola and fruit. As we eat, I tell them all about my last tour and Gemma tells us about her work at the moment. Nessa instinctively feeds me a bite of her pancakes and steals some kiwi out of my fruit salad. It's amazing considering how we don't know each other that well, that everything just feels so natural between us. I notice my sister watching us and a small smirk plays on her lips.

We order a few coffees. And then get refills after which Nessa realises, she needs to rush off to work. She hugs and kisses my mom and sister goodbye and my mom invites her to spend the weekend if she ever needs to get away from London. Gemma and Ness swop numbers which I take as a good sign, although I am not sure I want them hanging out and her telling Nessa any embarrassing stories about me.

Nessa kisses me on the cheek shyly and I say I'll see her later. As she leaves, I turn back around to my mom and sister who have the hugest grins on their faces.

"H we love her" they shout with excited glee.

I definitely have the hugest grin plastered across my face; they haven't loved everyone I have brought home.

"Sweetheart she is so beautiful and funny, and the way she looks at you, I think she really really likes you" my mom adds.

Gemma agrees "Oh definitely Harry, she is so into you. Although I can see she is nervous. I think take it slow and give her space, if that's what she needs"

"I know Gem, I know" I say a little exasperated "I am taking it slow".

"But I am really starting to like her and I can't stay away from her. I'm worried she doesn't realise the baggage that comes with dating me. Things have been quiet recently because I haven't been going out much or performing, but you know how mad things can get with the paparazzi and fans" I share.

"We know love, but I agree with Gem. Enjoy yourselves and get to know each other. And if things do progress, then you will need to talk to her" my mom suggests.

As always, she is right. I spend a few more hours with my family, doing some shopping and hanging at Gemma's. I am on my way home when I realise, I really want to see Nessa, so I decide to surprise her at the studio plus I have been invited to an event tomorrow night and wanted to ask Nessa if she wants to join me.

I drive through the Friday afternoon traffic and eventually manage to find a parking across from the Black Ink Studio.