Chapter 49

Nessa

"I hope you have something heathy in your shopping basket and not just ice-cream" Harry asks.

He is on the phone, while I do some grocery shopping.

I balance the phone between my ear and my shoulder, while I pick out some fruit.

"You know I managed to keep myself alive until I met you Harry. I do know how to feed myself. And FYI, I am currently picking out fruit" I answer, he doesn't need to know I already have 4 cartons of ice cream in the shopping basket.

Harry laughs "Good to hear, I'm just watching out for my three girls".

Harry has been amazing the last few weeks, hanging at my place most nights and helping wherever he is needed, even my brothers are warming to him again. I have just reached 28 weeks and my stomach has grown quite a bit, there is definitely no way to hide my tummy now. I'm feeling pretty good and amazingly energised. I have just come out of an intense prenatal yoga class and I am wearing short black cycle shorts and a slightly ridiculous, loose fitting white vest which says "Eating for Three". Gemma found it online and Harry thinks it's fun so I am wearing it to humour him. That and because I need to do some laundry and it's clean.

"Ness? Ness?  are you listening to me or zoning out in the middle of the supermarket?" He pushes.

I chuckle, a little embarrassed "Maybe zoning a little. What veggies should I get?" I ask him because Harry ends up having dinner with me nearly every night.

"Get some eggplants, I read in the baby book that the girls are about the size of an eggplant at 28 weeks. I've been craving eggplant ever since" He suggests.

"Eew Harold, that's weird!" I exclaim, he is still spouting every baby fact known to man.

I carry on chatting to Harry as I throw in a few more items and make my way to the check out. As the teller is scanning the items, I suddenly feel like I am being watched. I look around but don't spot anyone in the relatively quiet supermarket. I must be imagining things so I shake it off, while Harry tells me about his day and I place the groceries in a fabric tote bag and swipe my card.

"I'm on my way home H. What time are you coming over" I ask as I walk towards the automatic sliding door.

"I'm in the car now, so maybe twenty-five minutes?" he answers. 

"Okay cool, I'm a ten-minute walk so I'll get there first"

As I step onto the streets, I am suddenly met with loud clicks and overpowering light flashes. 

I drop my grocery bag on the floor and exclaim "What the fuck?" more to myself that anyone else, but Harry picks up on the panic in my voice.

"Nessa are you okay? What's Happening?" he asks.

I struggle to pick up my grocery bag, mumbling to Harry "I'm guessing that the press has found out about my pregnancy, they were waiting outside the store. What should I do?" I plead in fear.

"Babe, we knew this would eventually happen. Keep calm and walk home quickly. Don't engage with them. I'm gonna put the phone down so I can get to you faster but just move with purpose" He says calmly.

I end the call, throw my sunglasses on and start to push through the group of paparazzi. They jostle around me and shout "Are they Harry's babies Nessa?" or "Who's the father Ms Black?" and "Have you forgiven him after he cheated on you in Italy?".

I pick up speed and walk. As I get to my flat, I am met with another large group of press, who I have to push through.

I climb the stairs in panic and quickly open the front door to a worried looking Letty and Jude, who must have realised what was happening and are waiting for me.