Chapter 38

Nessa

Turns out Hamish is short-staffed so when I call and suggest I work at the studio for a while, he is over the moon. It was a huge rush rescheduling clients and Letty wasn't happy about my leaving but seemed to get onboard after we chatted.

By the time I walk through the historic arches of Kings Cross station to catch my train early on Wednesday morning, I am exhausted from stress and lack of sleep but relieved to be getting out of London.

I order myself a coffee at Starbucks and at the last minute decide to throw in a chocolate chip cookie. I grab my coffee at the counter and step onto the station concourse, I am starting to feel better with a few sips of coffee in me, when I recognise "Sign of the Times' playing over the station sound system. I stop and just stand their lost, wondering whether I will ever be able to get away from him. It's always difficult to move on in a relationship, but I have a feeling that is going to be amplified when the person is a world-famous Rockstar. I manage to gather myself together and start walking towards the platform, where thankfully I see the train is idling. I walk through the turnstile, trying to balance my coffee and the small amount of luggage I have brought.

I step onto the train and find myself a seat with no one sitting near me, hoping the train will stay relatively quiet. I sit my bag on the empty seat next to me and place my coffee and cookie on the fold down table. As I wait for the train to depart. My mind wonders to Harry, we had spoken about me joining him in Los Angeles soon, now I am basically fleeing London to get away from him and my memories.

I take a few deep breaths as I start to feel the panic setting in. Trying to distract myself I pull out my laptop and start working on some ideas for new tattoos, and pretty soon the train is pulling out of the station. The journey is about four hours which I spend working and sleeping. I only break down once and google Harry. My phone is flooded with the Gucci party pictures, which still make my stomach churn with anger, but there are a couple of paparazzi style pictures taken over the last day or so of Harry leaving his home. He looks miserable, and I am not sure if that makes me happy or sad, probably a bit of both.

The train pulls into Edinburgh around lunchtime and as I walk out the station its luckily a relatively warm and sunny day. Hamish's studio is only a couple of blocks away so I hike my bag onto my shoulder and begin the journey. The studio is in the historic Old Town area, a short distance from the Castle. As I walk, I pass the cities ancient stone walls and buildings, the familiarity of it somehow comforts me.

Hamish's studio is in an old four-story building on a busy high street. The studio has a shiny red door and shop windows, on which the shop name "12th Century" is written in large gold cursive letters. I open the door and a small bell rings causing Hamish to looks up, a huge smile appears when he sees its me.

"If it isn't my favourite cousin Nessa Black! No offense Ness, but you look like shit, but I hear a break up will do that"

Hamish is similar to Angus in that they are both loud and have zero control over what they say. It's difficult to be sad around Hamish, he is like a frenetic whirlwind that people can't help but gravitate towards. I size him up and he is definitely noticeable: 6-foot, tanned, tattooed and a hipster beard. He is in his late thirties and like a fine wine, seems to get better-looking with age.