Stefan - car crash

Requested by BossBell

Stefan gets in a car accident and doesn't heal faster.

Damon walked across the town square, heading away from the grill, where he had just had a couple of drinks with Alaric, playing multiple drinking games and flirting with the bartender. In his defense, she had tried to get his attention all night.

It was late. Damon knew that Stefan was at Elena's place, having a so-called 'sleepover.' Damon guessed that it was just another word for staying up all night, ripping clothes off each other. But knowing that Stefan was a gentleman, Damon thought to himself that it wouldn't happen. That the sleepover would simply be a boring, peaceful sleepover.

Damon crossed the road, not looking back while he texted Alaric, thanking him for the good time. Behind him, he suddenly heard a deep honk and a massive crashing sound, and he turned around to see what had happened. His eyes went wide, realizing that Stefan's car was the one with the worst damage.

"Stefan!" he yelled, running over and hitting the passenger seat window with his fist. To his relief, Elena hadn't been in the car and he wouldn't have to explain another death to Stefan, which brought his attention to the other side of the car, where another vehicle had slammed into the front left.

Stefan was unconscious, leaning limply towards the passenger seat, the seatbelt being the only thing holding him in place. He had blood running from a wound by his hairline and the bloody airbag was pressing against his neck.

Turning his attention to the other car, Damon saw a man stumble out, seeming rather confused, and he kept asking if everybody were okay, to which Damon answered; "No dickhead. My brother is fucking stuck and unconscious."

Damon climbed onto the front of the car, staring through the broken window of the red car that Stefan owned. All the broken pieces of glass had sprinkled themselves over Stefan's body. Looking around, he saw the audience of horrified people on the phone with the hospital and police department.

"DON'T CALL THE FUCKING HOSPITAL," Damon screamed. "JUST CALL THE SHERIFF!"

People stared chokingly at him, but obeyed and phoned the town sheriff instead. Damon kept mumbling prayers to himself, reaching his hand through the window to hold Stefan's hand. He rubbed his thumb over Stefan's skin and promised him, that he would be okay.

Damon didn't notice Sheriff Forbes car rolling down the street until she yelled, telling everybody to keep a distance.

"Excuse me, sir! You are not allowed to be on the crime scene!" She yelled at Damon, not recognizing him because of the darkness. He looked at her helplessly.

"Stefan is in there," He wanted to yell, but only came out as a whimper. Her eyes went wide, rushing over, looking through the window.

"It's Stefan, Liz," Damon whispered. Sheriff Forbes nodded, taking hold of Damon's arm, pulling him off the car. Damon protested, but she silenced him. She picked her phone up and called the firefighters in town, notifying them of the accident. Then she guided Damon to the rest of the audience, making him sit on the ground, telling someone to get a blanket for the young man.

Damon could only watch as the firefighters arrived at the two crashed cars. Sheriff Forbes came over, explaining that she had called the ambulance.

"Why? Why would you do that? You can't. They'll find out," Damon blurred out, making her grab his hands.

"I swear to you, that I will cover anything suspicious up. No one will know. This is the safest procedure for Stefan. Okay?"

Damon nodded, letting the sheriff give his hands a gentle squeeze before going back to help the firefighters, who were cutting off the roof of the car. The ambulance soon arrived, helping the other authorities. Damon threw the blanket off his shoulder, rushing over to the scene.

"Sir, you can't be here." One of the firefighters said, but Sheriff Forbes cut him off, saying that it was okay. Damon could stay. So he did, he stood there watching as the firefighters and paramedics got Stefan onto a stretcher.

Damon rushed over, grabbing Stefan's hand, seeing that Stefan had tear tracks on his cheeks. He stroked Stefan's hair. The paramedics wheeled Stefan into the ambulance, letting Damon sit on a seat beside him. Stefan's bloody body was quickly covered with a blanket and he got connected to a few machines.

"His vitals are stable and healthy," the paramedic said, looking at Damon. "His state is not critical. He will be okay."

Damon nodded, feeling a bit more relieved, yet he couldn't relax before seeing Stefan's soft, green eyes. As soon as they arrived at the Emergency Room, the paramedics wheeled him inside, heading to get scans. Damon jogged behind them.

After thirty minutes of scanning, the doctors diagnosed Stefan with minor head trauma, two broken ribs, a broken leg, and a broken collarbone. They stitched up a few wounds while Stefan was still out, and then they got him a room, raising his leg and torso a little bit as well as putting his arm in a sling.

Damon sat next to the bed all night and didn't say a word until Stefan opened his eyes early in the morning.

"Hey," Damon said gently, quickly combing his hand through Stefan's hair. "It's okay. You're alright. You're in the hospital."

Stefan looked tiredly at Damon and glanced at the IV drip in his hand.

"It's for the morphine," Damon smiled. "Are you in pain?"

Stefan carefully shook his head.

"Did you lose your tongue?" Damon asked, making Stefan smile, yet it faded quickly.

"I'm sorry," Stefan said hoarsely, tearing up.

"Don't be," Damon said. "I don't know why you aren't healed yet. You should have been, but you're in the best hands."

"I was unfocused," Stefan confessed. "E-Elena and I had a fight, a-and I couldn't see through my tears. I-I didn't see him."

Damon squeezed his hand and smiled reassuringly. 

"You'll be okay," He said and this time it seemed as if Stefan actually believed him.