Chapter 3: The Explosion

Hi guys! Thank you for 26 views! I know it's not a lot, but I fell that it's a start. Trust me, if the story seems a bit boring, it will get better! Trust! Enjoy!

After some help with the hallway monitors, Sophie finally made it to the chemistry classroom. Before she opened the door, she took a deep breath in and blew out.

She could do this.

As she walked in, several heads turned her way, followed by lots of whispering.

"Ah! This must be Sophie Foster. I'm Lady Galvin and you are 28 seconds late. Tardiness is not tolerated here, so that has earned you a detention!" There were a few snickers that followed after the teacher was done speaking.

"Uh-um I um—sorry I got lost and I—"

"I don't want to hear it! One more peep and that will be two detentions for you."

Sophie felt her face flame as she slowly trudged to an empty seat in the back of the classroom.

It definitely could be that bad.

"Today we will be doing a lab where we will be..." Lady Galvin announced as she went on to the list of chemicals they would be needing, which made Sophie very lost.

"You look confused," someone whispered next to her.

"Ah!" She gasped. "You scared me."

"Sorry," the boy mumbled "I'm Dex". He immediately reddened.

Was he blushing?

The boy was about her height, meaning he was short. He was also pretty skinny. He had periwinkle eyes, curly strawberry blond hair, and dimples as he gave her a shy smile.

"Hi, I'm Sophie, and it's fine," she replied.

"I know, almost everyone is talking about you!"

"Really?"

"Yeah, they are very curious. Sure they look mean, but really they are just testing you."

"Huh, that's what Jensi told me."

"Oh you met him? He's a bit..."

"Energetic?" She guessed.

"Yeah," he laughed. "But he's cool, just not the Drooly Boys".

"Yeah, that's what Jensi made it seem like," Sophie said.

"Hey, so you looked confused. Do you maybe want help with chemistry? I mean I do it a lot since my dad is a chemist so if you're having any trouble you can just stop by—I mean if you want!" He added quickly as he blushed furiously.

"That would be great," she said as she gave him a smile.

"Cool, so we're friends?"

"Of course!" Sophie exclaimed. "I mean it's been a bit rough and I need a friend," she added quickly.

"Anytime," he said as he flashed his dimpled smile.

They then decided to work together on the lab, though he did most of the work. Sophie was mostly lost. At one point he asked her to add something called Filimex, but Sophie thought he said Figex which was another chemical they had, so when she poured it in Dex screamed, "NO!"

"Ooops?" She said nervously.

When nothing happened, she was about to sigh in relief, until the mixture started to rumble and Dex yelled to duck, but he was too late. The mixture exploded everywhere, burning what it touched. Some landed on Sophie, but she was too shocked to scream.

Last Galvin had been walking by and got some on her hair.

Oh no...

Lady Galvin screamed in terror as she yelled at Dex to grab the solution that snuffs out the mixture. Once she was finished, she turned to Sophie. Sophie was sure steam was coming out of her ears. The scene was actually kind of funny with part of her hair burnt off, but right then she couldn't focus on that.

"OUT NOW!!" Lady Galvin yelled.

"I-I'm sorry—I just um accidentally um did something wrong," Sophie stuttered with pure terror.

"I don't want to hear..." Lady Galvin's gaze moved down as she saw Sophie's burns on her.

"Just go to the Healing Center! Afterwards I'd like you to come back! You are not through with me," Lady Galvin said, looking like she was already planning evil punishments for Sophie.

"Ok I-I will just leave n-now," and Sophie left quickly.

She started walking and after about 10 minutes, she finally found the Healing Center with the help of the signs around her.

She opened the door hesitantly. She was a little scared of doctors. She thought it had to do with when she needed stitches one time and had to suffer with watching needles go in her skin.

Just then she saw a man. He had wild dark hair. He had glasses that framed his grayish blue eyes. When he spotted her he smiled a smile that could make anyone happy.

"Who do we have here? The new girl?" He asked curiously.

"Um yes," she replied nervously.

"Ah, lots of talk about you. I'm Elwin. Now no need to be afraid, what can I do for you?"

"Um well I sort of made something explode in Lady Galvin's class and—"

"YOU DID WHAT?" Then he started laughing hysterically.

Sophie blushed. "It's not that funny!"

"Wait till everyone here's about this! Everyone hates her, and my goodness this just made my day," he said, still laughing.

"Well now she hates me because I burned her hair—"

"YOU BURNED HER HAIR? She loves her hair! You better be careful, she will be out for you."

"It was an accident," she grumbled.

"Alright enough with the glaring, I'm just kidding. Now, I see that you got a few burns, so they must have been from the explosion," Elwin commented.

"Yeah," Sophie mumbled.

"It's alright! I'll fix you up in no time!"

He was right, soon her burns were almost gone and she was already out of the Healing Center after thanking him.
She couldn't believe it though.

She exploded something her first day here! And it burned Lady Galvin's hair!

This was definitely not a good day.