Chapter 41: Disguise

Keefe's P.O.V

"What was that about feelings you said?" Keefe asked, putting a hand on his hip.

Sophie's face looked horrified as she nervously looked at Biana as if asking for help. Biana just smirked as Sophie slowly turned back to everyone else.

Sophie was so cute when she was scared. Any other day, Keefe would have teased her for it, but he just couldn't this time.

"Um, I was...talking about my feelings for...Mallowmelt?" Sophie stuttered.

Keefe willed himself not to laugh at her failed attempt to lie because he didn't want to seem like he was letting her off the hook.

"Foster, how many times do I have to tell you that you can't lie to Keefe Sencen?" Keefe reminded her.

In the inside, Keefe winced at himself saying his last name. Keefe just hated what Sencen stood for and how he had to live with the title and the burden to carry that terrible name. But no one could see. No one could know that his heart was shredding into millions of peices. But, Keefe had to act. He was quite good at it. No one could tell...but he didn't know if that was a good thing or not.

"I'm not lying!" Sophie defended, but Keefe noticed her signature blush that told him otherwise. After some silence, Sophie asked, "so...how long have you guys been here?" Keefe could hear the quiver in her voice.

Keefe wanted to feel bad for her, but he couldn't...not after what he had just heard...

"Well, we all got here when we heard you say something about feelings," Stina said, eyeing Sophie suspiciously. Dex growled and Keefe felt like joining him, while Nick had a smug look. "And then Keefe got here—"

"The same time you guys did!" Keefe blurted, cutting off Stina. Sophie's face showed relief, while the rest of the friends gave him a confused look.

Stina was just about to tell Sophie that Keefe had actually arrived at the Vackers' house about ten minutes before everyone else. Keefe couldn't let Sophie know that though—no way.

Sophie couldn't know that he heard everything.

Keefe had arrived at the Vackers' house earlier, so that he could have that private conversation with Sophie. And Keefe knew that Sophie was going to come earlier, so it would have been the perfect opportunity to talk to her.

That was until he overheard Sophie and Biana talking.

He remembered quietly standing outside the door of Biana's room to listen to their conversation. He knew he shouldn't have eavesdropped, but he couldn't resist when he heard his name mentioned.

Sadly, Keefe had to silently admit that he was excited to hear his name mentioned. Keefe thought that maybe, just maybe, Sophie was talking about having feelings for him.

That was until he heard Nick mentioned. Keefe realized that he was only mentioned since Sophie was explaining to Biana how her and Nick's perfect moment was ruined.

Nick was the charming guy with the beautiful eyes and cute look. He was the one that apparently made Sophie's heart flutter.

And Keefe...was just the boy who interrupted Sophie's about-to-be kiss with Nick.

That's it.

Keefe's heart pained when he heard that. He was trying so hard to hide it, but it got harder once Nick showed up.

Keefe suspected that deep inside, Sophie liked him. But ever since Nick showed up, Keefe wasn't so sure anymore. Sophie started to look at Nick in a way that Keefe only thought Sophie did to him.