Chapter 11: Running For More Than The Sport

The weekend passed by in a blur. Soon enough, Sophie was officially starting her second week at Foxfire.

On her way to her locker, she saw Dex and Marella talking and gave them a wave. Immediately they rushed over to her and walked her to her locker.

"So where'd you go after the game?" Dex asked.

"Oh I just went to um congratulate Keefe and Fitz before I left," Sophie said, leaving out the part where she caught them arguing.

"Oh well you must have missed it then! News is that the two got into a big fight after the game. No one knows what it's about, but they won't talk to each other," Marella explained, already getting into her gossip mode.

"Oh wow, I didn't know that!" Sophie lied. "I hope they will make up soon because I would hate for them to be mad at each other for a long time."

"Yeah," Marella agreed.

Just as Sophie closed her locker and turned around, she was surprised to see Stina and her minions standing right behind her.

"Hey freak!" Stina said, shoving Sophie against the lockers.

"Hey, don't lay a hand on her!" Dex yelled, although he looked nervous.

Stina just snorted. "And what are you gonna do about it?"

When Dex stayed silent, Stina continued.

"I just want to talk to Sophie that's all."

"Like she'd listen to you!" Marella snapped.

Stina ignored her. "You know, Fitz and I have become quite close. He talked to me after that fight he had with Keefe and boy is Keefe some ungrateful jerk!"

"What d-does that have to do with me?"

"It means that you should watch out. Whatever you think you have with Fitz is gone. He's mine, so don't be so hopeful."

"I never said I liked Fitz! He's my friend!" Her red face said otherwise.

"Maybe right now, but wait until he sees what kind of freak you are!"

"Well how are you going to do that?" Sophie questioned, nervously.

Stina smirked, "you'll see." And with that, she stalked away with her cackling minions.

"Don't be scared Sophie. She's just saying that to get to you." Marella assured.

"I know."

But Sophie thought otherwise. Something about the way Stina talked to Sophie, made her feel like Stina was planning something. Sophie didn't know what, but it couldn't be good.

Marella waved goodbye to get to her next class as Dex and Sophie went the opposite way to Chemistry.

***

The rest of the classes went by fast. Sophie almost exploded something else in chemistry, but luckily Dex was there to prevent it. However, that didn't stop Lady Galvin from giving Sophie another detention. At lunch, Fitz and Keefe sat as far as possible from each other, with their heads down the whole time. Sophie sat by Keefe and tried to get him to crack a joke, but the most he did was smirk when she told him she got another detention. Marella also reminded Sophie that she had to sign up for Cross Country, which Sophie completely forgot about.

After lunch, when Sophie went to stop by the office for a second to sign up before her next class, Sophie was stopped by the big crowd surrounding a screen in the hallway. Sophie went over to investigate, but immediately regretted it afterwards.

Someone must have hacked into the school's system because there on the screen was the picture of the newspaper that talked about how Sophie got kicked out from her last school. It explained the fire she started and there was a big blown up picture of her right next to it. The picture of Sophie looked like she had just woken up with a bed head.

Sophie couldn't believe it. Who could have done it? It was so cruel. Then it hit her.

Stina.

THAT JERK! Now what would everyone think of her? She would be the freak. She had hoped that no one would ever discover her past here at Foxfire, but now that hope was shattered. She was exposed.

Sophie tried to run out of there before anyone saw her, but she was too late. Someone already spotted her and singled her out. All of a sudden everyone started laughing and pointing and hissing insults that made Sophie want to die.

She wanted to scream, cry, hide, but most of all she wanted to run. Run faster than ever before. Run away from the danger before her.

So Sophie dropped all her things and ran for more than the sport.