Chapter 10: Caught!

Sophie immediately froze. Her mind was screaming to run, but her body stayed put. Instead, Sophie shut her eyes as if that would make the situation go away. For one quick second she thought it worked until a familiar voice said, "Foster?"

Sophie opened her eyes. "Um hello?"

"Hi...so um what are you doing here?"

"Oh nothing just um I wanted to tell you good job," Sophie said, which was the partial truth.

"You know you can't lie to Keefe Sencen," he said with a raised eyebrow. "Plus why are you hiding here then?"

Ugh why was he so stubborn?

"Ugh fine...so I actually was coming here to congratulate you and Fitz until I saw you guys umm...arguing." Sophie looked down, feeling embarrassed to be caught.

"Oh. So how much did you hear?"

Sophie hesitated for a second. "All of it."

Keefe suddenly paled. He looked embarrassed.

"Listen Keefe, whether you were the one who won the game or not, you still did a good job. You were a great help to the team and I'm sure your coach saw that," Sophie said, which was true. Keefe was an amazing player and he should not feel like he didn't help at all.

Before Keefe could reply, a booming voice came up from behind Keefe.
"Ah this must be the great Sophie Foster. I am Cassius, but better call me Mr. Sencen. There is no need to compliment my son. After the terrible performance today, he doesn't deserve any of your fake compliments."

This was what Keefe was talking about.

Sophie waited for Keefe to come up with a snarky comeback like he always did, but he just stood there staring at the ground. Did he break this easy?

"Um hi, you must be Keefe's dad. And if you must know, I think Keefe did a great job today and you shouldn't be so hard on him," Sophie snapped, hoping Keefe wouldn't mind her interfering.

Keefe for one second smiled at her, but quickly looked back down when his dad shot him a glare.

"Sophie there is no need to baby him. He needs me to be harder on him, otherwise he will never be successful in life."

How could he say that?

"Well I think you're wrong. I think you need to look harder and see that you have an amazing son. I have barely known him and I can already see it," Sophie practically yelled. She was losing her temper.

"And that Miss Foster is exactly it. You barely know him, therefore you cannot truly know the kind of troublesome boy he is," and with that, Keefe's dad dragged Keefe away, while Keefe stole one more apologetic glance at her.

Sophie was too overwhelmed. Cassius was lying. No parent could possibly be that rude. Sophie didn't know how, but she would figure out some way to prove it to him. She needed to prove Keefe's dad wrong.

And with that Sophie walked home alone.