Chapter 66: Results

"Jensi?!" Sophie and Marella asked at the same time.

"What are you guys doing here?" Jensi asked, looking shocked and surprised.

"Um, what are you doing here?" Marella countered.

"This is my grandparents winter cabin and I come here to spend time with them sometimes," Jensi explained.

Oh...so no evil witch then...

"Oh," was all Sophie said. Jensi looked uncomfortable as he avoided their gaze.

Well it was awkward since they haven't really talked since the beginning of the year...

"Where is the boy?" A medic asked Jensi and his grandpa, breaking the awkward silence.

"Dex is right in here," Jensi said, opening the door for the medics to come in.

Huh?

"DEX?!" Marella exclaimed.

"Yeah! It was so weird! My grandpa and I were fishing and we saw something—it was so weird—and I was like what? It didn't look like Dex—but of course it was him—and we pulled him out of the water—"

Marella pushed past Jensi as she ran inside, cutting off Jensi's rant.

Jensi looked surprised as Sophie quickly apologized. "Sorry, it's a long story. Can I come in?" Jensi nodded quickly and Sophie barged in.

Sophie then took in her surroundings and saw a strawberry blonde boy on a cot. He looked as if he was dead as Marella gently held his hands and started to sob.

"Ma'am please step aside. We need to take this boy to immediate care," the medic told Marella.

Marella started to shake as she quickly slid her bracelet on Dex's wrist and slowly backed away.

The moment would have been touching if Dex hadn't looked dead.

"Um well, I hope Dex is okay! I mean—we haven't been that close—but we kind of did—well not really! But—"

"I get it Jensi," Sophie said, cutting him off as she gave him a grateful smile.

Marella then walked over to Jensi and gave him a tight hug. "Thank you so much," Marella whispered. Sophie also walked over to join the hug, whispering her thanks.

It was a great feeling to know that Dex was still okay.

Jensi found him.

If he didn't save Dex...

Sophie shut that thought down and reminded herself to embrace the successes. Dex was alive.

For now...

Sophie just hoped that no one was really injured or hurt or sick.

When Sophie and Marella pulled away, Jensi coughed. He looked a bit flustered as he said, "oh it was nothing!"

"It was everything," Marella corrected.
Jensi beamed in response.

"Well, do you guys maybe want something to eat? My grandma makes really good gingerbread! You should try it!" Jensi exclaimed, already calling for his grandma.

"NO THANKS!" Sophie and Marella shouted at the same time.

No way Sophie was falling for that evil trickery!

"Oh—okay! That's alright!" Jensi said.

Sophie then noticed that the medics started to pull Dex away. "Wait! Can we come with? We need medical help too," Marella said, gesturing to her burns and wounds.