Chapter 77: Valentine's Day Part 1

Sophie studied herself in the mirror. She had put on a red dress for Valentine's Day because Biana insisted. Well, at least it was Sophie's favorite color and would be representing Valentine spirit. Sophie then slid on a pair of red flats that Biana gave Sophie and put on matching red lip gloss. Sophie even went far enough to curl her own hair and to put on eyeliner and mascara.

This was definitely not because she was trying to impress certain boys!

Sophie sighed as she realized how fast time had gone. A month had already passed since Sophie and Marella visited Dex.

Sophie thought back to that day and remembered her talk with Dex. When Marella was done talking to him, Sophie had gone in and seen the terrible state Dex was in. He then showed her his half leg and it was so heartbreaking to see. The poor kid was struggling so much and never deserved any of it. Sophie had tried to cheer him up that day and she also decided to apologize. She told him how she should have paid more attention to him and how she should have realized that Dex liked her. Sophie told him how he was still a great friend to her and how she was sorry for hurting his feelings. Dex forgave her, while looking embarrassed, and also told her how he had moved on which relieved Sophie.

Since then, Sophie and the friends frequently visited him and about two weeks ago, Dex was released from the hospital. He had also been going to school but he had to be in a wheel chair. Sophie felt sympathy for him because he was struggling so much to do normal things and several people were bullying him. Dex claimed he didn't care but Sophie could tell he was hurting. Another heartbreaking thing was that Linh was still in a coma.

Also within the past month, Sophie had gone on several more dates with Nick and a few with Keefe. But many times, Sophie would just hang out with Keefe after school as a normal hang out since he would insist he didn't want to pressure her or anything. Fitz and Sophie had also gone together to do many things. Sophie had actually hung out a lot with those three boys...

Sophie never knew what to think of any of it and she was too scared to admit her feelings and to really think about what she was doing. She was just going with the flow and just letting herself have a fun time.

But...are you going to choose? A voice in the back of Sophie's mind always asks. Shut up! She would always tell the voice.

When Sophie was satisfied with herself, she walked down the stairs to have breakfast. "Hey," Sophie greeted her parents as she sat down.

"Hey kiddo," Grady said as he read his usual morning newspaper and sipped his coffee.

"Hi sweetie! You look so beautiful! Who's the special guy?" Edaline gushed, rushing over to Sophie.

Grady spat his coffee out. "What?!" He exclaimed, slamming his newspaper and coffee cup down.

Sophie giggled nervously. "There is no guy! I'm just dressing up a bit because Biana told me to."

"And why did she tell you to dress up?" Grady asked.

"BECAUSE SHE'S GOING TO GET A VALENTINE!" Edaline exclaimed, putting on a goofy smile.

"WHAT?" Sophie and Grady exclaimed at the same time.

"I'm not getting one!" Sophie defended, her face turning a bright pink.

"That's right! You won't get one, not on my watch!" Grady said, pulling a metal spiked bat from the inside of his jacket.

"DAD! Put that thing down! There will be no smashing anyone with that bat!" Sophie yelled, trying to take the spiked bat away from Grady.

"But that ruins the fun!" Grady complained, raising the spiked bat high up into the air.

"Sophie, run now and save yourself. I'll hold him back," Edaline stage-whispered.