Chapter 15

"Are we going outside?" I asked as we climb down the stairs.

The thought of stepping out of this royal estate and seeing what's behind the tall walls made me shiver in excitement.

A temporary escape from this deathly cage.

My body stopped from the sight of a lone knight standing at the opened door leading outside of the Silver Palace.

"Good morning, your highness," Lucas said with a bright smile that made the female servants who were hiding gasped dreamingly.

Lucas being here was no good news. I wasn't going outside outside but just outside this house. The way how I dress and look today has only one meaning. . . I'll be meeting my death sooner than I expected.

All the excitement immediately washed away and turned into fright.

"I'm going to die," I blurted out.

Lucas looked at me in surprise.

"Of course not princess! Why would you think of such things?!" Haisley knelt beside and held my hands.

"I'm just here to escort you, Princess Elaine," the captain of the guard said with reassurance.

"Sir Bismarck will escort you to his majesty, King Edmund. Your father," Haisley said.

You mean escort me to my death. . . !

Before I could even utter an objection I was lifted off the ground.

"Shall we go, princess?" Lucas carried me out of the Silver Palace leaving the traitor named Haisley.

I was busy praying the Saving Light prayer as my complexion continues to go pale.

Lucas who was carrying me as if I was nothing noticed my stiffness. "Princess Elaine, may I ask what would you like to receive for your birthday?"

. . . Those who believe in the Light shall receive protection, with fate and purity shall save them from harm—

"Gift?"

"Yes. A present for you."

"Th-then I would like to not be killed today," I said in desperate.

"Aren't you a pessimistic one," he chuckled but then his face turned to serious. "I swear to the crown that I will make sure you won't die, your highness."

Mhm?

. . . What?! The Captain agreed?? And to think he swears to the crown.

Am I saved, for now?

In relieved I touch his cheek and looked at Lucas with a grateful face.

"Thank you, Sir Bismarck. I shall make sure you'll be in my prayers."

Now that the Captain of the Imperial Guard has my back it's a hundred percent I am safe from being killed today, I think. Let's just stick to Lucas and do nothing to agitate his majesty.

"I didn't know that the princess is quite a devoted one. Ah, and please call me Lucas."

I pulled my hand. "I don't think so. I seldom pray—"

Maybe that's it! I was not too devoted to the Goddess of Light that's why she punished me. I never spread the word of the goddess, I cursed a lot and I don't seek her either.