Chapter 78

Who would have thought, after 11 years of avoiding tea that I for the second time was poisoned again.

No, it wasn't poison. It's nothing. . . Just your regular expensive tea.

The teacup made a clattering sound as I place it down on the saucer. Both me and the person seated in front of me were waiting for something but nothing happened.

From her reaction before and after I drank the tea tells me that there must have something on my tea.

Was it because of my self-healing magic that it nullified the effect of whatever was on the drink? I did felt the temperature of my body slightly raised but quickly went back to normal that I barely noticed it.

If it's not poison then it must be some kind of drug but what kind?

"Elaine," Azalea called me without my title, her voice told me she was unsure.

I took my eyes away from my half-filled tea and looked at her. With an emotionless face, I tilted my head in question.

"About what I said earlier, I want you to tell your father that you wanted Rose to become your mother," she ordered as if she knew that I'll obey her.

It was like she's talking to someone who's being—

So that's why she came here.

A drug that could manipulate someone. This kind of drug appeared out of nowhere a month ago which made Lucas very busy looking for a lead while Edmund's mood was getting fouler and fouler. A dangerous drug that needs to eradicate quickly or else the kingdom will be in chaos.

The question was why Magnolia's mother and not herself? What's her relationship with the mother and daughter? A pawn?

Before more questions piled up, Azalea continued who has now gained her confidence back after she thought the drug worked.

"After you've done what I told you drink this."

I watched a maid placed a vial on the table and took my tea with her. This maid I've seen her around Haisley back when I was still in the Silver Palace.

Someone knocked on the door in a specific knocking rhythm which made Azalea stood, her true self surfaced on her face.

"Your father really is fast. I can't wait to see him but now is not the right time." With a venomous smile, she walked towards the door followed by her spy. "Make sure to drink it until the last drop, princess. I'll see you soon."

I stared at the closed door where Azalea and the maid left and just like what the former said, Edmund arrived a couple of minutes after.

I quickly hid the vial as he crosses the room with an angry stride and eyes glaring at me with Lucas in tow.

"Elaine, I heard Farrell was with you. Where is she?" He said glancing at the empty seat with piercing eyes.

"She already went home," I answered.

Why does he look so mad? Something must have happened in the past between Edmund and her.

"That woman. She's getting bolder and bolder," he said to no one.

"It can't be helped. Restricting her to enter the palace will cause an uproar to the aristocrats and commoners," Lucas said with a conflicted look.

To the people's eyes, she was like a goddess to them. Having charity events here and there, built an orphanage and health center near the outskirt of the capital.

She really was a model of this current society. She's something I should underestimate.

A hand touched my head. "Are you alright?" Edmund's expression had changed into a worried look.

At the end of the day, I decided to not tell them the truth. Even if I told them nothing will change.