Chapter 99

Alysse Kingdom, Golden City

Pale moon hung low on the starry night sky, illuminating the quiet streets.

Cats screeching and hissing from the sudden intruder. The murky alley was a good hiding spot but it wouldn't last.

The panting of breaths. Shoes slapping against the ground. And shadows that continued to follow. They're catching up.

"Just a... little more. We're almost... there," the palace guard whispered between his breath. The wound on his shoulder throbbed, it shouldn't be this painful, the wound was shallow that it could be compared to a graze. A scratch. But it was painful that it feels that his shoulder was ripped apart.

"Sister... What about my sister?" The boy mumbled weakly. Eyes looking so dead. Those eyes that witness how his father murdered his mother cruelly and drank her blood like some monster from the stories his sister used to tell when she's trying to frighten him.

"She's safe. I'm sure the others went to your sister and escaped," the guard lied. He didn't know what happened to the princess nor the people in the palace because his top priority was the crown prince.

The boy, the next in line to the throne, not more than eight, is what they want.

They stepped out of the alley, running to the empty streets and into another alley avoiding being seen by the pursuers.

They're catching up to them.

"... She's dead, isn't she?" Weakly the boy asked but before the guard could answer the prince continued, "Where are we going?"

"... To meet a friend."

"Friend? Is he going to help us hide?"

"Yes, for the meantime. Hopefully, he'll help us."

Carrying the boy, the palace guard turned to a corner. He could finally see the house of his friend who used to lived at another kingdom and was now married to a fallen noble family, Marquess Dominic Bismarck.

◍     ◍     ◍

Outskirt of Luville Kingdom

The hot bath was heaven even if she couldn't stay too long. Clean clothes giving her warmth even though it smelled musty after storing in the closet for so long. The soft comfortable bed beneath her and being alone in the darkness of somebody's room, particularly dead–a bit dusty but still... Elaine was ready to sleep.

Drifting off to subconscious the pitter-patter of the rain became her lullaby. Thankfully her brother, Aiden, didn't pester her with questions only made sure Elaine and her companions wouldn't get sick from being drenched, letting them rest for the night as soon as they all dried up.

Now, she rests. Her mind and body.

Turn around.

The silver-haired princess turned around burying her right cheek against the soft pillow with a huff as her body relaxes.

Wake up.

...

Wake up.

Her eyes fluttered open. A frown plastered on her face and wondered if she forgot to blew the candle on the side table.

Move closer.

She scooted over the edge of the bed.

Move closer and look down.

She eyed the candle suspiciously then gazed on the floor. Nothing. Should she put out the flame that flickers dimly against the darkness of the room? She then closed her eyes ignoring the thought and the strange feeling and lulled back to sleep leaving the litted candle.