Chapter 95

The Cage was once again packed with people, identity hidden behind their extravagant mask. Wealthy customers with the same goal as everyone.

Look, bid, and enjoy the night.

It doesn't matter who you are; an honorable noble, a wealthy merchant, a powerful individual, or a commoner who could actually afford to compete against the former ranks. As long as you have the envelope with a letter consisting of the location and time, and a beautiful pristine white feather–an indication that there will be new Swans and Doves inside the alluring cages.

Some would steal the invitation just to participate in this so-called Cage.

An hour before the event starts, the lavish halls that were decorated in rich deep colors of maroon, gold and black, were being filled with customers looking for a bird that will suit their taste for the night.

◍ ◍ ◍

Never did Aeduan would have thought that he'll be witnessing this kind of event, becoming a part rather, as one of the customers.

They did something similar to this. Five years ago, when he was 12 years of age by that time—him, Prince Aiden, Princess Magnolia, and Carsien—snuck in a gambling and drug den and got caught by his majesty.

His nose crunched under the mask that covered half of his face after observing that most of the patrons at the Cage were men, older men. It's not like there's something to be surprised for.

"Should we look for a bird for your liking your highness," Aeduan whispered teasingly.

"Will you just drop it, Aeduan?" The Crown Prince grumbled beside the young mage as they follow the flow of the crowd around them. "How would I know that person wasn't pertaining to an actual bird. God, all I want is to buy a welcome present for Elaine. It's been two years since the last time I saw my sister, I just want to have her the best. Also, you're the one who suggested to give her a bird."

"Now you're telling me it's my fault? From what I remember I suggested giving the princess a pet."

"I remember no shit," the blond-haired youth murmured grumpily. Gold like color eyes eying the large cage in displeased as they walk nearer to it.

"Well, your memory is shitty, Aiden."

A week ago they were having a mundane activity, the same morning routine before the Hunting Festival starts. Since the first princess is coming back from finishing school the golden prince asked him and Carsien for welcome gift suggestions.

Then a random son of a noble who's also participating in the yearly Hunting Festival overheard a part of their conversation.

"Oh, you're also buying a bird, your highness? I heard that the Cage has beautiful birds being presented at the end of the week."

Piqued, Aiden asked, "Where is this Cage you're speaking of?"

"Hmm? It's in the letter... Did you not receive any from the Cage?" The young noble asked now looking at them warily.

In return, their expression gave nothing despite being confused and slightly curious.

There was a short amount of pause before Aiden smiled. "Of course I have the letter–had. I wouldn't ask you if I didn't lose the letter, would I?"