Chapter 67

"Are you sure you don't want to come, sister?" Aiden asked as they're preparing for their departure. "We could go to the beach after attending the funeral. I think you'll love the sunset view, you'll probably want to paint the scenery."

Tempted, I refrained myself from saying yes. It was already hard to stop them from leaving. Call me selfish but I didn't want them to go and meet the heroine.

My conscience would eat me alive if I ask them not to go and they actually stay. Not because of the heroine but for the dead. The heroine will meet her family one way or the other, I think it became the universal law. Throughout every heroine's life at some point, she'll encounter her lost family.

"I'm sorry, I really don't think I can handle long travel. I might just delay you and become a bother," I lied. "Please pass my condolence to your friend."

He frowned.

Aiden's friend was a son of the late Duke Lief. Both the Lief couples and their daughter died in an accident leaving their only son alone.

"You should stop thinking stupid things, Elaine." Edmund who happened heard what I said in the distance. He stood next to me looming down with neutral expression. It really was hard to not fidget nervously when you're next to this intimidating person. "You'll never be a bother to us, remember that. And if someone tells you that I'll make sure that's the last word they'll ever say."

I swallowed hard while dark aura was leaking out from him.

"Father is right, sister. Their heads will be rolling the ground if they mutter a word about you," Aiden added.

Because of Aiden, I imagine myself being beheaded. Ahh. . I just saw my future self.

My stomach tightened. I made the right decision to not come.

With great timing, Lucas called them to depart. He's really perceptive but he becomes stupid when it comes to love.

Aiden gave me a tight hug. "I'll send you a letter." I let him be even though they'll come back after a week. He then kissed my forehead and quickly went to the carriage happily.

Edmund was staring at me, at my forehead to be exact. It looks like he wanted to do it too. He's really an awkward man.

I asked him to kneel down and without a word, he knelt. I'd say it felt good, the person you're afraid the most kneeling before you. I couldn't help to be giddy in the temporary situation that was unfolding before me.

Pleased, I kissed Edmund's cheek. "Have a safe trip, daddy. I'll wait for you."