Chapter 50

"Prince Aiden, if you keep doing that the princess will misunderstand you. You see, the princess gave me these a while ago and asked me with a blush adorable face—'Oh, my charismatic Captain~ please marry me!'—that's what she said and I wouldn't mind taking her away from you. . ."

I stared at Lucas with dead eyes while he spouts lies to Aiden. He was hovering the drawing and the handkerchief that I made over his face.

And what's up with that voice? Do I sound like that?

"No!" The little prince pushed Lucas's hands with an angry pout. "I'm against it! I will not let you have my sister!"

Lucas withdrew with a fake sad look and told me, "I apologize princess it seems that you cannot have me."

Seeing how adorable Aiden's pouts made me want to tease him. It was also a payback for making me run around just to catch him.

"How about we elope together, my dashing Captain?" I said looking at him with pleading wide eyes.

Lucas cracked a smile but suppressed his laughter by clearing his throat. "My sweet young maiden, you shouldn't say our plans in front of the prince. He did say he was against our love~"

I looked over to Aiden, who was too stunned at what I said, leaving his mouth hanging open.

"What do you mean? The prince doesn't want to see me. He wouldn't mind if I go with you. Right, Aiden?" I asked with an expecting smile.

The thing was, I didn't expect him to tear up. Maybe I went overboard?

"Tha-that's not true!" He cried as he jumps at the side of his bed and hugs me. "I'm sorry, Elaine. Please. . Please don't leave me!"

Lucas quietly left us.

Oy! We both made the child cry!

I innerly sighed thinking how to make him stop crying. But wasn't this a good time.

"But you're avoiding me. Why do such thing if you don't want me to leave you?" I tried to pull away but he hugged me tightly. "Did I do something to make you mad?"

"Of course not! It's. . You won't understand if I tell you."

Relief washed my face. He didn't harbor any resentment towards me. I'm glad.

"I won't understand if you don't tell me."

After a brief silence, Aiden pulled back tears visible on his cheeks. I remembered the first day we met. He was just like this, still crying.

"I—" he started but he's struggling to open up.

"It's okay, Aiden. I'll wait until you're ready," I said softly.

He looked down on his hands that were resting on his lap.

"I'm. . . I'm mad at myself. Mad because I couldn't protect you. I'm the crown prince, the future ruler of this powerful land of ours, but–but I'm just a weak scared boy. . .who only knows how to cry while his sister was dying in front of him. I'm powerless, even in my dream. Every night I would dream of the dead you."

Tears began to fall down to his opened palms.

All this time he was facing nightmares and burden alone. I might have even caused him traumatic experience after what I did in front of him.

Giving him a hug made him cry more. My heart breaks hearing the loud cry and the agonizing pain he was going through.

I sat on the bed beside the prince when his cries went to sobbing.

Looking forward to the wall. "I am also weak. I couldn't do anything to the children being killed before my eyes. I don't know them but all I can do now is honor their death." I turned to Aiden and wiped his tears. "It's okay to be weak but we couldn't stay weak forever, right? Let's get stronger so that we don't have to watch someone dying."

He nodded and leaned on my hand. "Let's protect each other for now on."

This time I was tearing up. How can he be so adorable and at the same time sound so reliable?

Ah~ I'm crying in joy. I think I might be save from being beheaded.

. . .But it was just wishful thinking.

Someone opened the door.

"Father!" Aiden leaped down the bed and ran to our father while I was being dragged with him.

At the sight of his son, his gaze hardens then turned into deathly glare when his eyes landed on me.

What's this. . ? Tears of fear?