Chapter 72

The thunder rumbled from afar. I stopped my track and glanced at the window, dark clouds can be seen from the distance making their way towards here. Soon the heavy rain will fall.

I placed my hand on the cold windowpane and stare at the ring rested on my finger.

With this ring, one could easily connect that I and the abandoned princess were one.

It's still hard to believe that this was my second life as the Abandoned Princess. It hasn't processed wholly since there's a lot of questions that need to be solved.

But to think that I had a life before I became a Holy Maiden which I have no memories of. The mere thought made me shiver in fright.

Maybe that's why I'm like this. I was always pessimistic when it comes to the king and the crown prince. And why I came to not want to be associated with the heroine. My body and emotions react on its own were all because of my past self.

But my anxiety shouldn't be worst like this. It's like I'm afraid of everything and think that I was always being punished. I might even think that it became my second nature.

My guts told me that something must have happened to the old me.

It's hard to have no memories of my past self and to only rely on the book that was awfully written by Cianna. The story has too many plot holes that it's hard to follow what's going on.

Drops of rain started to fall against the window.

With a heavy sigh, I continued walking in the hallway while cursing at the crappy book.

I knocked on the door before announcing myself and entered the office.

Lucas with his emerald eyes greeted me in warm welcome while Edmund gave me his usual indifference stare of golden eyes. Then there's a pair of eyes that was unfamiliar yet at the same time familiar.

Pink colored eyes like gem were focused on me.

"Elaine, this is Azalea Farrell from the house of Viscount Farrell," the king introduced the visitor without bothering to hide his displeased voice.

I made sure my face held no emotion hiding the sudden uneasiness from that name before turning to where a visitor sat and greeted with a curtsy. "Princess Elaine Gwyneth Arias, a pleasure to meet you, Lady Farrell."

"The pleasure is all mine, princess. His majesty might not tell you but I am your mother's cousin." Her words came out like honey, it was smooth and pleasing to hear.

But for some reason, all my hair stood up while my heart started beating faster.

"It's time for you to go. You already met my daughter as for your request, Viscountess Farrell," Edmund said impatiently.

It was the first time I look directly at the viscountess after entering the office.

"Don't be like that, your majesty. I just want to see my cousin's daughter who resembles her quite a lot."

A lovely smile formed on her small face. Her burgundy hair like red wine flown down to her shoulder. She looked delicate but held herself like a queen.

My heart dropped as I grow paler and paler. I unconsciously took a step back but I couldn't look away while she gave me a warm smile. My body screamed to run to get far from here, from her. A nauseous feeling came over me that I quickly covered my mouth stopping myself from vomiting.

It was my first time seeing her but why was I reacting like this? I was afraid of her, more than Edmund.

"Princess?!" Lucas called.

Edmund was already out of his seat. "Lucas, take Elaine."

With few words, Lucas immediately took me away from the office.

I didn't make it to the sink. Covered in cold sweats I threw up as my body trembles intensely. The retching sound could be heard in the hallway ten stepped away from the office.

I passed out after there's no longer to heave out.