14: Practice Match #2 and New Friends

Wednesday came and so it was time to play Fukurodani

Wednesday came and so it was time to play Fukurodani. As Kazane came back from their morning run with Ushiwaka, her coach beckoned her over. "What's up?" She asked as she stopped in front of her.

"You never told me you were a setter, Kazane." Coach Gushiken raised an eyebrow at her as the ace looked confused.

"I didn't?" She was positive she had said she could play any position that they needed her to, and that included being setter. Maybe she should have been more specific, Kazane thought as her coach sighed.

"You didn't. But I saw you with the boys last night," She told her, and Kazane raised an eyebrow. Yeah, she was setting but what was the big deal? She was nowhere as good as her twin. "It was amazing, the accuracy and consistency of your sets." Coach Gushiken complimented, a smile on her face.

"Oh, uh, thanks." Kazane laughed nervously, not sure what her coach was getting at.

"Don't worry, I won't switch it up today since we need to practice what I have in mind. You can go now." Gushiken nodded to her, so the ace slowly left as confusion swirled in her eyes.

"You're making the right decision." Washijo said, startling the female coach as he stood next to her, looking at Kazane as well, "I'd use her that way too."

"Oh, Coach Washijo!" Gushiken's eyes widened before they softened and went back to looking at the female ace as she and Ushiwaka talked. "Yes, I have a feeling this is exactly the edge we need."

"Hang on, I have to take this." Kazane told Ushiwaka as her phone vibrated. Since she didn't want it straight up ringing in the middle of practice again, she had put it in vibrate. It was her brother. "Hey bro, what's up?"

"Just checking in during our break." Tobio said after wiping the excess water from his chin. "How's it going?"

"It's going pretty good, what about you?"

"Same here. We actually have a practice game, so I'm excited about that. It's an old rival, too."

"Oooooh, who?"

"Nekoma." The name made Kazane grin.

"Dude we just played a practice match with their girl's team! That's awesome!"

"Seriously? Huh." Tobio's lips curved slightly. "Anything interesting going on today?"

"We have another practice match against Fukurodani, so that's fun. Also my coach said something about my setting so I'm not sure if I'm gonna be switched to a setter like I was last year."

"If she does that, she's wasting a wing spiker."

"Oh shush, I'm good with whatever I can do. And you know how much I adore being setter."

"Yeah, almost as much as me."

"Yo Kazzy-boo, who you talkin to???" Tendou popped up in her field of vision, causing her to squeak in surprise.