41: Pain

"Why do you have to go?" Ushiwaka asked me as we chilled at the secret hideout on top of the gym

"Why do you have to go?" Ushiwaka asked me as we chilled at the secret hideout on top of the gym. He looked like his usual stoic self but I could see a bit of a pout on his lips, making me giggle.

"Don't worry Wakatoshi! Nothing bad will happen to me. It's only a week, you can survive that long without me!"

"I can but I don't want to." The ace frowned.

"You're too cute." I pecked his nose, causing him to scrunch it. "At least I'm not in a wheelchair anymore."

"Yes, it's nice to see you up and walking." He agreed, and I smiled as I leaned into him.

"Even if it's only with one leg."

"Yeah."

So, I had been told that my little brother Tobio was going to be going back to the Nekoma training camp thing, and so my parents selfishly asked me to go with him.

Of course I said no way José, but they didn't give me much choice. I had little to no excuse not to, since it would mean Tobio could keep an eye on me and I could keep him in check, and apparently I could remeet some people I had met the first time I had gone.

In the end I had given in and agreed. To be honest, I was a little nervous because I knew I'd feel really bad when I found out I knew somebody and didn't remember them. Especially if I didn't remember them after seeing them and talking to them again, that would make me feel so bad.

"Get out of your head." Ushi flicked my temple, making me wince. "You're over thinking again."

"Sorry, can't help it." I shrugged, sighing. Suddenly, my leg spiked, making me wince and let out a groan. "Shoot, I don't have my meds.."

"Is your leg hurting?" Ushi looked worried as he eyed my leg, and I nodded.

"Yeah, hurts like a bitch."

"Language." Flicking me again, he picked me up bridal style. "I'll take you back to your dorm, Tendou should be there and will probably have some pain killers for you."

"Sounds good, but we can't forgot my crutches!" I reminded him, waving my hand in their direction.

"I can take them." Semi offered, picking the crutches up. I grinned at him as Ushi nodded.

"Thanks Eita, you can follow us back."

"Sure." He returned the gesture before we headed off of the roof, waving goodbye to Yamagata, Goshiki and Shirabu.

It had actually been two weeks since I admitted I remembered Ushiwaka, and I had just gotten promoted into crutches three days ago. I had been allowed back in the dorms five days ago, and it's been a lot better than commuting back and forth.

However, ever since I became manager, it's been a real pain in the ass. Or leg, since I was expected to do a lot. Washijo and Saito have been going easy on me because of my state, so that's been nice but I know it won't be like that forever.

Also in the last few weeks, I've been reconnecting with the girls team. I remembered Bushida, Hado and Chiyako right off the bat, along with Azusa and Aguni. For the other girls, it took a bit longer. I still don't exactly remember Hana and Kimura, but I can tell we weren't close so it makes sense.

Suddenly I hissed again as the pain in my leg overloaded. Squeezing my eyes shut, I clemched my jaw. Dammit, how am I supposed to think with this much pain?

"Sorry, we'll be there soon, I promise." Ushi told me, his lips pressing to my temple as he held me closer. My hands clawed at his shirt, gripping it as my face contorted in pain.

"O-okay.." I bit my lip, I just wanted the pain to stop. The throbbing felt like it was getting broken all over again, I was in agony. I needed those pills, badly.

"Tendou." Semi knocked on the door since he was the only one with free hands. The redhead opened the door a second later, taking in the situation.

"Leg's probably dying so just lay her on the bed." He said, immediately jogging back into the room to grab something, probably my meds hopefully.

"P-please.." I clutched Ushiwaka's shirt tighter as the pain flared, tears forming in my eyes. "Make it stop.."

"You gotta let go of him so you can take your pills," Tendou told me, so I slowly did so. Handing me two pills and a glass of water, the three watched as I swallowed the pills and washed them down with the water. "It'll take a few minutes to take effect, so you'll have to deal with it for now." The redhead told me, and I nodded weakly.

I hated it. I hated that feeling. Weak.
It was like I was useless. Pain was all I was good for, it's all my body could register. I hated it. I hated myself. It was my fault, if I had been more careful maybe I could have-

Coulda woulda shoulda, can't do anything now. Squeezing my eyes shut, I slowly curled up into a ball, trying not to trigger my leg to make it go ballistic because I moved a fraction of an inch like it did a few days ago.

What did I do to ever deserve this? I asked myself as Tendou began to rub my back soothingly. "Want me to leave you alone or-"

"No, please don't." I turned over, grasping his hand and looking at him desperately before wincing and curling back up. "It hurts so much.." I could feel the tears in my eyes start to spill out. It was agonizing.

I couldn't wait for it to stop so I could be a functional human being again.

"Don't worry, only a few more minutes. You have to keep holding on, it will be over soon. Gotta keep that strong mentality, okay?" Tendou smiled at me and I nodded, trying to smile back.

Soon enough, the medicine kicked in and I could relax as the pain reduced into a dull throb. Sighing at the release of my tense muscles from warding away the pain, I allowed my eyelids to fall.

"Go to sleep, you deserve a break." Tendou told me softly, patting my shoulder as he stood up. "I'm going to get some dinner, I'll bring some up for you."

"Okay, thanks Tendou.." I said tiredly, barely bothering. He chuckled, and the last thing I heard was the door shutting.

(So my mom was complaining about not having enough of what she was feeling, so here's a chapter about pain.)

Merci~