43: Ushiwaka's Girlfriend

(Third person)

(Third person)

The rest of training camp went alright, except for when Kazane explained that she had a boyfriend. Most of the boys started crying and asking the universe why, it was kinda funny.

When she returned to Miyagi, since it was summer break Shiratorizawa didn't have school. However, she was up bright and early. "Why are you up so early?" Tobio asked, having just woken up.

Kazane shrugged. "I have practice, I am the new manager after all." She told him, which made him frown but nod.

"Alright then." Tobio muttered,going to go grab something to eat. Smiling, Kazane picked up her bag and slung it over her head, then checked her phone.

•••

Wakatoshi
Tendou and I will be there soon

Kazane
Alrighty! I'll be waiting 👌🏻

•••

There was a knock on the door, so standing up with the help of her crutches, Kazane made her way over to open it. "Good morning!" She smiled at the two standing in front of her.

"Morning!" Tendou grinned back, "gimme gimme~" He took her bag and crutches, so with those out of the way Ushiwaka picked her up bridal style. "Let's get a move on!"

"Yep! Thanks for this you two." Kazane told them, but Tendou just waved her off as Ushiwaka shook his head.

"We don't want you to hurt yourself." The ace replied. The walk to Shiratorizawa was pretty chill, Tendou and Kazane making conversation and catching up while Ushiwaka would join in once in a while.

"Welcome back Kaz! How was the trip?" Goshiki asked once they had arrived. Kazane shrugged.

"It was okay, how was your time without me?" She teased, reaching out and ruffling his hair. Goshiki laughed.

"Rough. These idiots can't do shit." Washijo walked in, his hands behind his back professionally as he came over. "Welcome back."

"Thanks coach!" Kazane nodded, unable to actually bow. Nodding back, Washijo called for practice to start, and for the boys to go on a run around campus.

Once the boys were all out of the way, Washijo turned to Kazane and Saito. "We have a practice match today against a college team, so once they return from the run, we'll run them through some servers verses receivers."

"Yes sir!" The two replied, then looked at each other and smiled.

"How's your leg, by the way?" Saito asked as Washijo walked over to his chair. She shrugged with a side smile.

"It's better, but there's still a pretty bad throb going on. Only three and a half more months!" She told him, trying to stay positive.

"Don't worry, the time you have left will feel like it flew by once it's over, so don't waste it!" Saito advised, to which Kazane thanked him.

And he was right, of course. The next month flew by, and then it was time for spring prelims.

"I'm so excited!" Kazane squealed, her leg now in a walking cast instead of crutches. The doctors had been incredibly impressed by how well she was taking care of it, and because of that and how well it was healing, the time had been shortened.

She only had two months of healing left before she was allowed to take the cast off, and then another month for observation and physical therapy to get back into the swing of things before she was allowed to play again. To say Kazane was excited was an understatement.

"Calm down, you're gonna hurt yourself!" Semi scolded, so with a sigh Kazane settled back down with a 'yes mom'. Semi just huffed in annoyance, rolling his eyes as they all walked into Sendai City Gymnasium.

"Hey, isn't that Kazane Kageyama? What's she doing here?"

"Yeah, isn't she on the girls team? Wait, oh I see, she must have hurt her leg. That's messed up."

"Dude that's sad, imagine how she feels."

"She'll be more careful in the future I'm sure."

"Yeah probably. Anyway-"

Kazane sort of deflated with the discussion about her, and almost all of the boys noticed. Shirabu patted her back. "Who cares." He muttered, glancing at her.

"Yeah! You're still awesome!" Goshiki told her cheerfully. "And you get to cheer us on up close and personal!"

"Oh, haha you're right!" Kazane agreed, grinning at Goshiki and nodding. "It's just hard..."

"Come ooooon, let's go scout the competition shall we~" Tendou wrapped an arm around her, so with a laugh the two headed up to the bleachers while the others went to find a spot to put all of their stuff.

"Dude, don't you wanna go with your girlfriend?" Yamagata asked Ushiwaka, who shrugged.

"I'll catch up with them later." He said plainly.

Meanwhile, Tendou was having a stare down with Oikawa and Iwaizumi as he kept Kazane behind him, who looked confused as to why. "What happened to you?" Oikawa asked, directing the question at Kazane.

"I fell down stairs and broke my leg, lost some of my memory, and yeah, pretty fun right?" She joked, which made the two frown. "It's no big deal!"

"Sounds like a pretty big deal to me." Iwaizumi said, and Oikawa nodded in agreement.

"It's none of your concern." Tendou growled, "come on, we should join the others."

"Why don't you hang out with us instead?" Oikawa somehow had sweeped Kazane away, making Tendou blink before turning to steal her back. Kazane bit her lip, looking away.

"You don't have to, of course, but I'm sure we're a lot better than those jerks." Laughed the brunette setter, which cause Kazane to frown. Opening her mouth to reply, no words were able to leave as someone else spoke up instead.

"Oikawa, take your hands off of my girlfriend."

All heads turned to look at Ushiwaka, who was standing next to Tendou with his arms crossed. Oikawa's eyes narrowed as his hands tightened slightly while holding Kazane's.

"Your girlfriend?"

"That's right." Ushiwaka dipped his head slightly, his eyes never leaving Oikawa's. Dropping her hands, the setter made the most annoyed sound after a moment, marching off.

"Bested on the court and beat to the girl! Damn you!" He growled lowly as he stomped off. Iwaizumi lifted a hand in apology before jogging to catch up with his captain.

"Welp that was something." Tendou muttered as Kazane rejoined them.

"No kidding."

"I didn't realize he was that immature." Ushiwaka frowned. Kazane and Tendou blinked at him.

"It's Oikawa. He's always immature."

"I suppose I was blinded by his skill." The ace sighed, "Nevermind, we should rejoin the team."

"Alrighty!" Kazane agreed. So the three headed back, getting ready to go out into the court.