Chapter 4

"WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND, JIMIN, HE'S DEAD!"

Alarmingly, the youngest's yell reverberated in the quietude of their house, and it was so intense and loud that it had the smaller's leg shaking in fear.

Silence...

None of them spoke a word after that.

Just the smaller kept his wide-eyed stare glued to the ravenette, the expression on his face resembling something similar to that of a stunned, dumbfounded, and wounded puppy. Though, it seemed like the youngest himself was surprised by his actions. As if he had slipped for a moment.

An excruciating moment of stillness later, Jimin seemed to have come back to his senses. Letting out a shuddery breath, he blinked multiple times in a desperate attempt to keep the streaks of immense gloom back in his eyes. Pressing his lips together, he peered down at the floor, distress and helplessness plastering across the delicacy of his features. Jungkook had never yelled at him before, never even looked at him with such fierce gaze. Jimin was frightened and upset, to say the least.

Taehyung was still quiet, judging it wouldn't be appropriate for him to say a word now. Though, he did not stop himself from looking at the youngest with a disappointed gaze.

It took longer than a minute for the ravenette to think over the consequences of his actions. When his nervous stare met Jimin's fretful figure, an instant wave of regret surged through him. Jungkook didn't mean to shout at him. Who knew it better than him that this has always been a sensitive matter for the three, especially for Jimin? Jungkook couldn't believe himself. How could he get mad at him instead of reassuring him?

Breathing out in dissatisfaction, Jungkook ran the rough of his palms down his face in an attempt to somehow calm himself down. Jimin looked terrified, and Jungkook could only criticize himself for making it worse.

"Minnie.." He whispered, gently grabbing the smaller's arms to pull him towards himself, and once the latter was entirely engulfed in the warmth of his arms, he continued. "I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice at you like that. It's just– what you said sounded so absurd–  I–"

Before the youngest could spew anything stupid further, Taehyung placed his hand on the latter's shoulder to stop him. He needed to get a grip on himself.

Jungkook hated the regret that slammed through him as soon as Jimin pulled himself out of his grip. The sadness in the latter's brown irises was evident, yet he tried to mask it with a smile, though the two others could tell it was forced out.

"I– It's okay, guys. Maybe you're right. I– I must've misunderstood.." Without glancing at the two, Jimin almost whispered, appearing as if he was trying to ascertain himself.

"Also, Tae, I'm sorry, I bothered you at this hour."

"Chim! Anything related to you or Jungkook is never a bother for me. I'll always be there when you'll need me." Taehyung gently took the smaller's hand in his own and tried to reassure him, though he barely looked convinced. "You should rest, Jimin. You look tired."

Nodding, Jimin slowly stood up and gently pulled Jungkook along. The latter had an apologetic look on his face, the shame on his complexion evident for not being able to comfort him like how he should've. Nudging at his side, Jimin made the youngest look into his eyes before he flashed him a soft smile. "It's okay, I'm okay." He ensured before brushing the taller's back.

Humming softly, the youngest began, "Uh.. It's quite late. Taehyung, please join us for dinner before you leave. I'll order something for us to eat."

"Kook, I.. don't really have an appetite right now. I'll just head to bed." Jimin interjected, already slogging his way to the stairs. Although Jungkook seemed like he wanted to protest, he only sighed and nodded.