New York State Of Mind

"To be young and in love in New York City (New York City)
To not know who I am but still know that I'm good long as you're here with me
To be drunk and in love in New York City
Midnight into morning coffee
Burning through the hours talking"

Noelle

"Nonó sit down for a minute, will you? We need to go over everything one last time and then you are done for the day."

This last week has been exhausting. Since I landed in New York, I didn't have time for breath ore take a break. Between arguing with suppliers trying to sell me cheap products and searching for the latest people to complete the staff, time had passed in a blur.

I spent the last four days in Brooklyn, in the kitchen lab that Sophie rented, cooking every single dish over and over again and trying to find the perfect way to plate it. We had prepared almost everything, the only things missing were the meat seconds that we would prepare that night and some components that could not be done days in advance. I spent two nights in here, keeping Carter and Thomas with me, terrified that we were running late on time.

I'm driving everybody crazy.

"Give me a second... Cesar, please. This 'crema' needs more wine vinegar... And salt. God, what kind of problem do you guys have with salt? It's fucking tasteless! Do you want to feed 600 guests food that tastes like nothing? It lacks flavour, Jesus Christ!" I nearly scream, looking at the kitchen brigade.

I am turning into Gordon Ramsey 2.0

My sous chef, Cesar, runs beside, stopping me from throwing the pan with the sauce for the fourth time today, and grabs me by my shoulders," Jefa (boss) you need to calm down... Go talk with Carter, I've got it from here" he says, with his tick hispanic accent.

I just nod, closing my eyes for a second and put the pan on the counter. "More salt and vinegar. And check the tomato rye tartlets, please."

He nods and pushes me away, turning to the staff, "Well? Did you ear the Jefa? Back to work, ràpido!"

"You'll have a seizure if don't calm the fuck down Noelle." Carter scolds me as soon as I seat on the steel counter where he spread a lot of paperwork.

I roll my eyes and scoff, taking off the bandana I use to cover my hair from my head. He hands me a red cap and only now I notice the bottle of wine near him.

"Fernando sent this for us", he says " Terre Nere Etna, one of the wine's we'll serve for dinner.", he explains and I nod, taking a sip.

"Fuck... This thing tastes like expensive. I can feel it on my taste buds" I joke taking a cigarette from the packet he as on the counter.

"You shouldn't be smoking in here Noelle." he scolds me while I brig the lighter up to the smoke.

"We're a long way from the cooking zone and don't lecture me when five minutes ago I saw you with a cigarette in your mouth" I reply taking a drag e he sighs in defeat, " Let's go over the game plan again, shall we?"

He nods, taking a paper in his hands and sipping on the wine, "So: you, Cesar and Alice will stay on the pass. Nothing goes out of the kitchen if it's not approved by one of you." he starts "We have Alex, Rita, Calum, Jack, Raul and Vinnie at the appetizer. Sarah, Lucas, Maria, Rachael, Rick, Alex P. and Cami at the main course. Alana, Jason, Curtis, Allison, Marco, Tito and Sady at the side dishes. Monica, Tom, Alina, Carl, Brittany, Luke and Ruth at the desserts. I have 30 waiters in the dining room, which means every waiter follows 20 people, roughly 2 or 3 tables each. We will communicate via radio, you, me and Soph will have one. I'll go there in the morning with the waiters while you and Sophie will be here supervising everything else. We have two trucks available to bring the stuff to the Met, but you already knew... Uhm... I think that's it. Questions? "