27

*Frank's P.O.V.*

Gerard had been in the ward for a month and a half now. They keep saying "He needs more time, he needs more time," but what Gee really needs is to come back home. He can't function without me. And that's what these doctors don't understand.

Without me, he's sick, he's a mess, he can't go on. With me, he's good, he's protected, he doesn't breakdown that often. But they think that he'll never make it on his own.

HELLO! THAT'S WHY HE HAS ME!

I wish they'd let him come back home and go in for check ups every now and then. I should bring that up with Dr. Catalina. Her other two patients left the ward three weeks ago, Gee was her only one now. He's her main priority.

She told me he's been pushing people away. He doesn't talk anymore. He's on the urge of falling into a nightmare that I can't save him from. I need to see him again.

I called the hospital and asked for the call to be transferred to the ward. The office of the ward picked up. "Belleville Hospital's Psychiatric Ward, my name is Lindsey, how may I help you?"

"Hey. I need to talk to Dr. Catalina. Is she available?" I asked.

"She's helping a patient right now. But I will have her call you back."

"Helping a patient? She only has one patient under her name. What's happening to him?"

"Who's on the phone?" I heard someone ask.

"I'm sorry, what's your name?"

"Frank Iero."

She repeated my name and I heard the other female demand Lindsey to give her the phone.

"Mr. Iero?" Dr. Catalina asked.

"Yes?"

"Oh thank god! He's not doing well. He's having more and more breakdowns. He had two this morning."

"What?! They just told me last week he was doing fine!"

"No, Frank he's slipping again. They only tell you he's fine to make you not worry about him. I'm doing my best to calm him down, but you'd have a better shot at that than anyone. Will you come by and help him?"

"Yeah, I'm on my way."

***

I got to the entrance of the ward, Dr. Catalina took me to Gerard's room.

She gestured for me to go in.

I knocked first. "Gerard?"

No answer.

"Darling, it's me."

Still no answer.

I opened the door and shut it behind me. I want to talk to him alone.

"Darling, please talk to me."

Still nothing from him.

I sat down next to his body on the bed. "Gerard, you know I wanna help you. But with you not talking to me makes it difficult to. Tell me what's wrong. Please?"

He turned to face me, his face held no expression. "Have I- Have I gone crazy?" He asked softly.

"No, you just need some time to get better."

He looked away from me to the foot of his bed. "It's like my life is on pause in here. But everyday, I just- loose it. Everything. It's all gone. You're not here. I need you. I wanna go home with you. Now!"

I brought my hand up to his face. "Dr. Catalina and I will talk about you coming home. It may take a little bit but I will not have you stuck here while I live my life."

He nodded.

"But I need you to stay here while I talk to her, okay?"

His eyes filled with sadness. "But-"

"I need to talk to her. I'll be back, I promise!" I kissed his forehead before I left, closing the door.

"How did it go?" She asked.

"He wants to come home with me. When do you think he'd be good to?"

"I'd give it a few days- at least until Friday- and see how he is. Then- if he's stable enough- you can take him home."

"So a week?"

"At least."

I nodded. "Should I tell him?"

"Not yet. Maybe a surprise on Friday morning might work." She smiled.

I nodded and went back into his room.

"Can I go home now?" He asked.

"Not yet, sweetheart. But soon. I promise."

He turned on his side, hitting his fist on the mattress and letting out a frustrated moan. "I JUST WANT TO LEAVE THIS PLACE! WHY IS THAT SO HARD?! IT SHOULD BE WHAT I WANT, NOT WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST FOR ME!" He shouted.

"Hey, shhh. Calm down. You'll be okay." I held him.

"Frankie, I'm lost without you." He mumbled into my chest.