Thermoregulation's Overrated

The three times people find out Peter can't thermo-regulate (this isn't going in the normal direction). Like almost every other one-shot in this book, this will be as far from canon as is possible without it being another Fandom. Not geographically or scientifically accurate. Peter doesn't know Tony or the Avengers.

As far as people knew, Peter Parker didn't have powers, or only one set of powers, such as his spider ones. As far as he knows, his spider powers include sticking, precognition (Spidey sense), enhanced senses, super strength, fast metabolism/healing. What no one other than his Aunt May knows is about what powers he has as an ice spirit, which include: ice creation/control, wings, eyes changing colour.

Throughout the 2 years, he had been Spidey, Peter had learned one of the negative effects of the spider-bite: he was extremely vulnerable to the cold, meaning his Spirit form was much more common in winter. To make it so that he could continue looking out for the little guy, he now had two alter egos that were nearly complete opposites of each other. Spiderman was loud and confident, constantly talking, while Spirit was the exact opposite, never talking in order to prevent anyone from making the link between Spiderman and Spirit being the same person. Spidey would patrol during summer and Spirit would patrol through winter.

Shockingly enough, it was actually the middle of summer when Ned found out about Spirit. They had somehow reached the decision that it would be a good idea to go to his pool at midnight when the temperatures were below 0 degrees. Peter had been reluctant to leave the house, but let Ned drag him along after being assured that he didn't have to get in the pool. As he prepared to catch up on some of his missed sleep next to the pool, Ned jumped straight in and failed to notice the cold. He had only agreed that Peter didn't have to get into the pool, not that he'd let him stay dry, and fully intended to take advantage of that.

"Aaaargh!" Peter screamed when Ned threw water all over him, and then jumped into the pool, not the reaction Ned had been expecting. "Dude, what- why? Also, you can't tell anyone about what happens next, other than Aunt May, cause she already knows." He asked, swimming a short way away as his wings appeared. He climbed back out of the pool, fluttering his wings in an attempt to dry them off. "How did that happen?" Ned caught on fairly quickly, considering the fact he was most likely in shock and having to try extremely hard not to fanboy. Deciding to show off while he could, Peter explained his powers, and what activated them, while demonstrating them by turning the pool into a mini ice rink. Ned dealt with it pretty well, though on occasion Peter heard him rambling excitedly to May.

The next time it was a group of people that found out Peter was incapable of thermoregulating. The winter term had finally ended and to celebrate Flash had persuaded his parents to book the whole ice rink for them. However, as far as the Acadec team knew, it was a surprise. Ned had been fussing constantly in case it was someplace cold, to the point that Peter was threatening to get cold purposely in order to freeze him. Peter had decided it would actually be fine for their classmates to find out, especially if it meant they would cover for him whenever he ditched school to save the city.

"So guys... We're here!" Flash was practically vibrating with excitement when they pulled up outside of the ice rink. Peter remained calm, disturbingly so. "Yes Ned, you were right. Everyone else, you can't tell anyone what happens next." They all shivered slightly at that, what secret could Peter possibly be keeping that Ned had been in on and also kept? They walked inside, most people wishing they had worn more layers, while Peter was seriously considering taking off his jacket. The only reason he hadn't at this point was Ned pointing out he could make it a lot more dramatic when they were actually skating.

Some of the team took cautious first steps onto the ice, whereas Peter began gliding around instantly, using his wings to make him go faster and creating little curves of ice to turn. After five minutes of them all finding their footing, several of them started tripping over bumps or lines engraved in the ice. Peter was just filling them in as he passed by but was unable to cover a large area without revealing himself.

It was spectacular when they did find out, but purely accidental. One of his teammates had fallen down and he didn't have time to stop, so in order to avoid crashing into than he had spread his wings and flown over the top of them. The entire team had gasped, including Ned, as this was their first time seeing Peter's wings in daylight. They were varying shades of blue, starting at the deepest possible shade and finishing the colour of ice. Rolling with it, Peter created a massive roller-coaster which he proceeded to skate along and made several of his friends jealous. Then he came to a gentle stop and answered their questions including whether or not he was Spirit, to which he replied. "Duh, though only cause I technically can't thermoregulate."

The final time Peter's inability to thermoregulate was actually useful. They had been on a trip to a science lab when the Avengers turned up and said that it was actually HYDRA. They were losing, as it was a quite large base, but were kinda destroying the structure of the building. Noticing this Peter randomly yelled. "Cold! Ice! Something, I need Spirit!" Some of the kids who hadn't been at the ice rink were confused, but everyone that had been there pulled out a bottle of freezing cold water and yeeted it at him. The Avengers had been distracted by it and now the building was close to collapse, and they had only just noticed. They let HYDRA getaway in order to try to repair it, or hold it up when the roof started falling in.

With slightly more flair than was needed, Peter froze all of the beams in place then stopped any remaining agents. His classmates were shocked, they knew he was a vigilante but didn't expect his skills to be so good. When some agents returned to finish them off, he dodged all of their attacks with ease, almost as if he had predicted them beforehand. The Avengers finally broke out of their stupor and ushered them outside, Peter blowing away dust and rubble. Then the Avengers had a silent discussion and reached an agreement, before making a proposition. "How would you like to be an Avenger, Spirit?"
"Sure, but there's something you need to know first. I am Spiderman." After recreating Tony's iconic line, Peter leapt on to a nearby wall to prove his point. Everyone was speechless until Tony and Bruce whisked him away to do science.

Words: 1239
Edited