References

Enjoy fifty words of angst and references.

It was an average morning at the tower after the Snap. All of the avengers, including the rogues, were sitting around the table thinking about the ones they'd lost. Tony sighed when his pot of coffee was empty, "I'm nothing without my coffee."
"If you're nothing without it, you shouldn't have it," Cap said, feeling the mood drop immediately for anyone on team Tony.
Rhodey huffed a regretful laugh, "You shouldn't have said that. Should not have said that" he walked away, shaking his head as he went to find Pepper.
"I'm sorry?" Cap hoped things would go back to normal once he'd apologised.

There was a few moments of tense silence while they waited for Tony's response. Eventually, he let out a shaky breath and replied, "Your death's on me, you knew that and your final words were an apology. In the middle of space you told me you didn't want to go." he let out a dry chuckle, which turned into a sob, "I don't know if I'd prefer if you'd stayed on the bus. You were my idiot, the one beamed into a spaceship, that meant we had each other in the dusting. Your friends wouldn't understand why you knew what was happening, why it was so painful as your body tried to repair itself. I'm the one who's sorry, kid, you wouldn't have gone through any of this if I hadn't intervened."
The rest of the day was spent in stunned silence.

Words:255
Edited

Oops, that was longer than I intended. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯