SheBelieves Cup

Kelley's POV

It's the last game of the SheBelieves Cup. Our team's playing against France, but we no longer had a chance to win the Trophy. It's hard to believe... Us, the United States, the best team in the world, will finish last in this cup...

I'm sitting on the bench and I'm bubbling up inside. France leds 2-0. I don't recognize my teammates. The elimination from the Olympics last year has left its mark on our minds... I hadn't noticed I was shaking until Christen, my girlfriend, handed me a little bundle of nuts and smiled at me.

Christen: "Hey squirrel! Eat some of this will relax you!"

Christen knew me well. She knew it was the only thing that could calm me down.

K: "What a boon for French women, this may be the only trophy they'll ever win!" I grunted.

"Kelley!" I heard Alex say behind me.

I turned around to see my best friend giving me an angry look. Basically I had nothing against the French team, but I remembered that she had played in Lyon, so she knew most of the players.

63rd minute. Camille Abily, plants us a third goal...And sticks us with a bitter defeat... I'm muddy. I knew the media wasn't going to be soft on us...

France pressed our defense until the referee whistled the end of the game. We greeted the winners and then went back to the changing rooms. Jill gave us a dressing-down... I looked around. All my friends were either staring at the floor or had already left to take a shower. Tears began to flow. Suddenly I felt familiar arms around me. I looked up to see Christen. She knows I'm a little emotional, so she tried to comfort me by pressing her lips to mine.

Once I was changed, we all went back to the bus to go back to the hotel. Christen wanted to sit next to me but was pulled away by Alex, who wanted to talk to her about something. I was starting to fall asleep when someone pushed me to sit next to me... I opened my eyes to see Tobin standing in front of me with a big smile on his face.

T: "May I sit down? Christen and Alex apparently have things to talk about."
K: "You may. If you don't keep me awake," I grunted.

She sighed, knowing full well what my sentence meant.

Tobin and I never really liked each other. She's dating my best friend, but I don't think Alex is as happy as she should be, but she never wanted to talk to me about it. I'm afraid Tobin's gonna hurt her. Christen doesn't want to talk to me about it either, but she's Tobin's best friend.

In fact, I suspect Tobin is in love with Christen, but she doesn't have the courage to break up with Alex. No, actually, I'm sure she doesn't. She's in love with Christen. Should I talk to Alex about it?She slapped my arm to get me to turn to her.

T: "I know you told me you wanted to sleep, but I'd like to talk to you, Kelley."
K: "No, let me sleep. I don't want to talk to you."
T: "Look... I know you don't love me and you think I'm hurting Alex, but..."
K: "Shut up! I-" Jill cut me off.
Jill: "Ladies, I'd like your attention, please! I'll give you a free period tonight, but I'm counting on you to respect the curfew. Tomorrow morning we'll have a meeting in the great hall at 10:00."

The bus started up and Jill almost fell off. The team laughed, but stopped short when our coach shot at us.

My eyes closed and I hoped Alex or Christen would wake me up when I got there, because I hadn't planned to sleep on a bus. My bed is more comfortable.

Alex's POV

As I got on the bus, I pulled Christen close to me. I wanted to talk to him about something that'd been eating away at me for weeks. She was very surprised to find herself next to me, because she usually sits next to Tobin or Kelley. But it doesn't matter. However, she noticed my upset expression.

C: "Everything all right, baby horse?"
A: "Chris, there's something I want to talk to you about."
C : "Is it about Tobin?"

I looked at her in shock.

C, "It's okay, Alex... I can see there's been something wrong between you two over the past few weeks. Tobin is my best friend and I know Kelley is yours. But I also know that it's not the misunderstanding between our best friends that's bothering you. Come on, tell me all about it."
A: "Tobin loves me, Chris... I know she loves me... But the passion seems to be gone. I think she feels something strong for me, but her heart has gone somewhere else. I know Tobin too well to recognize when she's in love. But it's not with me. And I don't think it ever was."
C: "I don't know what to tell you... Maybe you should tell Kelley."A: "Maybe I shouldn't talk to Amy or Ashlyn about it anymore. They know Tobin pretty well and they like him. Thanks, Chris, anyway."

I looked at the seats behind me. I saw Kelley and Tobin talking to each other. I mean, arguing would be a better word... Tobin and Kelley hate each other. I know they do. Everybody knows that.

Tobin's been distant for too long. I know she's in her bubble most of the time, but this is different. Something's going on here. She's in love. Really in love...

I suspect she's falling for Christen's beautiful eyes... After all, they really know each other. Besides, how did Chris know right away that I was going to talk about Tobin?

My head rested against the glass, and sleep came over me. It was a tiring game.

The Shebelieves Cup is over. For the whole team, that last place was a disaster.

But I didn't think that in a few days we would suffer our worst humiliation... And it would change our lives forever...