"It's her !"

Kelley's POV

February. We've been practicing the sandlot for a month. The days look alike and get boring. Every morning I find a map under my front door. I read it while drinking my coffee and then put it away with the others. Tobin comes into the kitchen, drinks his coffee and comes towards me and kisses me.

Then I call Julie to talk about her little investigation and as always she won't tell me anything. After Julie, it's Jill's turn. We discuss the afternoon sessions and then I get on my couch and watch TV with Tobin.

After lunch, we leave for the vacant lot. The Americans train every day, the Lyonnaises join us after their sessions in Lyon and the foreigners join us as soon as they can.

Today, the girls had a good session. The team spirit is more and more powerful. Jill and I think Andrine has a lot to do with it. She's the link between the big egos and the little egos.

Hope, Louisa, Lotta and I found it fun to have a little game between coaches. Louisa and Lotta versus Hope and me. Of course I took it slow. I'm not gonna lie, I missed football.

But something worries me. A silhouette hasn't left our sight all afternoon. She's been watching us from the top of the little hill. I couldn't see her face but only her hoodie.

Jill noticed her too and approached me.

Jill says, "That doesn't sound good, Kelley. We should get everyone together and get out of here fast."

I nod and call the girls.

Rose: "Can't you hear anything?"

Everybody shut up. All of a sudden we hear a whistle and then an explosion. Then another one. And then another one.

Mal: "I don't think it's fireworks!" she panics.

"AIE !" Julie cried out. I approach her and see that she is bleeding. A glass bottle is shattered at her feet.

K: "Get her away from here". I commanded.Carli: "We'll never be quiet!"

"Never!" we hear a group of about ten people say. By their accents, they sounded like they were from back home.

They kept leaving us bottles and insulting us.

I ordered the girls to run away but they all stayed.

"We're going to give you a little lesson," said one of them.

"And not necessarily about football..." said another with a perverse smile and cracking his fingers.

"Let's start with that one." I think their leader suggested, grabbing Louisa.

He started kissing her and then hit her when she pushed him away.

The figure I'd seen earlier rushed towards them. She looked familiar to me very quickly. She threw herself at the man holding Louisa and put an uppercut in his jaw.

Louisa rushed towards us and was surrounded by Ada, Eugenie, Camille and Amandine. Jill called the police.

K: "Thank you for her. Who the hell are you?"

"Run!!" she said before our attackers threw themselves at her.

"Lacrimo bomb !" Camille shouted behind me.

It was total chaos. Everyone ran around, blinded by the gas.

I ran straight ahead with some other players. When I got far enough away from the field, I climbed up on a small butte and looked around. Everyone was pretty much there. I looked for Tobin, but I didn't see her. Neither did Christen. Alex ran towards me.

A: "Kelley, Tobin and Christen are still out there!"

I wanted to go back, but Hope stopped me. The police arrived and an ambulance too.

Jill ordered us all back to the hotel, even the Lyonnais and the foreigners.

Without hesitation we leave for our hotel. We all showered and lent clothes to the girls, since our bags had been left on the waste ground.

Megan: "It's not fucking possible! We'll never have peace with this shitty president!" she shouted.

I'm amazed at how calm the non-American players are. They didn't ask for anything, but they're still here. I see Ali caressing Ashlyn's arm, to calm her down. The couples are looking for comfort between them: Ali and Ash, Pernille and Magda, Julie and Morgan...

I can't stop thinking about Tobin. I look at Alex, who is like me, worried sick about Christen.

K: "I'm sorry you have to go through all this..." I say, starting to cry.

Andrine hugged me. I swear that woman is a sweetness with chocolates...

Pernille: "The further we go towards the match, the more we understand your ordeal... We will stay no matter what."

Everyone nodded.

My phone vibrated. I pick up the phone immediately, listen to the person and hang up.

K: "I have to go to the hospital, stay here!"
A: "I'm coming with you!"
Camille: "I'll take you there."

I nodded my head and we left.

When we got there, I rush to the reception. A man tells me the emergency service is quick.

Camille, Alex and I ran there. I think we scared everyone we passed.

Christen was sitting on a chair, his eyes in the wave and with an ice pack on his cheek. Alex took her in his arms and Christen kissed her.

I looked for Tobin. She was lying a little further away, with wet compresses and a wet bandage over her eyes.

Tears came to my eyes.

Doctor: "The gas was too strong. Her eyes and throat were hit. She will have to keep this bandage on and avoid talking for at least a week. But she should recover," the doctor told me.

I took Tobin's hand in mine.

Doctor: "However, you can take her home, if you bandage her every day."

I nodded.

K: "Did you hear Tobin? You're going to have to be quiet for at least a week."

She grunted in response, which made me laugh. It's gonna be hard for her.

K: "I've been so scared for you," I said, putting my lips on hers.

I signed the release papers for Tobin and Christen, and Camille took us back to my room.

The girls were relieved to see them again, but also worried about Tobin. I shook my head and no one said anything.

We all chatted together until someone knocked on the door. Jill went to open it.

The hooded figure walked slowly forward.

Louisa: "Thank you so much. Who the hell are you?"

The person in front of us took off his hood. My jaw dropped clean.

"OH, MY GOD! LAURE!" Louisa and I shouted at the same time.

The girls threw themselves on top of her to give her a bear hug.

Julie pulled me into the bathroom.

K: "Julie?"
J: "I want to show you something."

I raised an eyebrow.

J: "I found out who saved you in the parking lot."

She takes her phone out of her pocket and shows me a video.

J: "Take a good look. There!" she paused at a certain point.

I look again.

J: "Does this remind you of anything?"

My eyes widened in shock.

K: "It's her!"