The challenge

Kelley's POV

It is now mid-July. I am undergoing therapy to rebuild myself physically and emotionally. I've moved in with Erin and she's more supportive of me than ever.

The media has confirmed the new couple, which fans have dubbed Chrislex. This caused a big depression.

Yet I continue to receive cards and flowers every day. Sometimes little balloons or cans of beer... As for Erin is researching the incident to find out who saved me. I can't do that without having an anxiety attack.

16h. I was coming back from my rehab session when I saw Erin standing in the living room with her arms folded. She only does that when she has something important to tell me.

K: "Is everything okay?"Erin: "Kelley, come sit down. I need to tell you something."

We both sit on the couch.

Erin: "I got a call from Alex earlier. We talked about everything and nothing and the conversation, I heard she was going to a National Team event. Jill ordered them to meet at the camp in Washington, DC the day after tomorrow at 2pm. You weren't called, because nobody knows you're awake, except your secret lover."
K: "But the team was disbanded, the clubs closed, and the board decided we were no longer allowed to play."
Erin: "From what I understand, or rather from what Alex understands, someone wants to talk to the whole team. Apparently, their future depends on that person. That's all I know."

I was confused. The team was disbanded three months ago, so why would Jill summon the whole team. But it must have been important.

K: "I've got to go too!"
Erin: "Kelley..."
K: "No, Erin, you can't stop me. If Jill thinks it's important to get the team together, then it must be important. And I'm still a part of this team!"
Erin: "Of course. But like I told you, nobody on the team knows you're out of the hospital."
K: "That's why I need your help."

I went upstairs to take a shower. I needed to think. Why did Jill call back a team that was officially disbanded? When I came out, I smelled sweet risotto. Erin always made the best risotto.I ran downstairs, but I slipped on a piece of paper. I fell heavily on my butt with a thud. Erin ran towards me.

Erin said : "I'm sorry, the card must have fallen on the floor when I shook the tablecloth."
K: "What card?"Erin: "The everyday love card."

I sighed and read it: "I hope you're okay. I'm dying away from you."

Erin: "See, you literally fell in love when you weren't expecting it!" she chuckled as I rubbed my butt.
K: "That's not funny! I'm going to get a bruise!"
Erin: "A Smurf Squirrel?" she laughed.

I sat down at my seat, to have dinner with her.

After tidying up the kitchen, Erin watched her favorite show, while I booked a flight to Washington. At first I wanted to warn Ashlyn, but then I thought I'd go incognito. I wasn't ready to face Christen, let alone Alex.

Two days later

I'm on my way to the airport. A thousand questions on my mind. I only took a bag with a few extra things, and I wore a hoodie with a wide hood so I wouldn't be recognized.

I finally boarded the plane and the flight went smoothly. No one recognized me, not even security. Probably because of the bruises on my face or because they understood that I didn't want to be recognized.

As I got off the plane, I started dropping off my things at my hotel. It was quite far from my friends' hotel, but close enough to the meeting place.

Around 1:45 pm, I hid behind a car to make sure that each of my teammates had entered the building where the meeting was to be held. But guards came out in front of the front and back doors.

Damn it.

I looked up and saw a small open window on the first floor to the side. The only way to get in was to climb up the pole and jump out.

"Kelley, it's time to prove you're a real squirrel!" I thought.

It was a surprisingly easy task. Within seconds, here I was inside looking for a hidden spot where I could attend the famous meeting.

The National Team couldn't get together without including Kelley O'Hara, could they?

Christen was next to Alex. And Tobin was talking to... Julie? Whoa. Okay.

Ten minutes later, Jill walked in with a woman on the stage. I recognized her right away, which was not good.

Jill: "Ladies, it's a real pleasure to see you all back here. Let me introduce Mrs. Cindy PC., Vice President of the American Football Association."
Cindy PC. "Good afternoon to all of you. I know the last time the Federation brought you together this turned into a nightmare for you. Your team was disbanded, your clubs closed, and football was banned for women. All because of one match."

I watched the girls. I could feel anger, grief, misunderstanding... This woman had just reopened a wound that hadn't healed for any of us.

Cindy PC. "However, as a woman, I am well aware of the injustice you feel. This has caused a worldwide scandal. Your clubs, along with the world's biggest clubs, have joined together to put pressure on the executive board."
Jill: "What exactly do you expect us to do?"
Cindy PC. "Under international pressure from anti-discrimination federations and associations, the board has instructed me to give you an ultimatum."

I held my breath.

Cindy PC: "As you know, next year will be the Men's World Cup. So here's the Federation's challenge to you: It doesn't matter which team wins the Cup, you must beat them in an official match."

Carli stood up and said : "Basically, you're asking us to prove ourselves! Why should we accept this challenge, which will only serve to humiliate us further?"
Cindy PC. "I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is your one chance to prove to the world, that women belong on a level playing field."
Jill: "What are the terms? Because I assume there are."
Cindy PC. "The only condition is to win. If you win this once-in-a-lifetime match, you will regain your status, your legitimacy, and your clubs will reopen. It's up to you to decide whether you'd rather be seen as the team that got humiliated in front of teenagers, or as the team that beat the best male nation in the world."Jill: "Anything else?"
Cindy PC. "Yes. You are allowed to recruit players from all over the world. The FA doesn't care if your team is all American or not."

I thought my head was gonna explode. I couldn't believe my ears. I think I'd just found my main purpose in life: "To become a role model for all women in this world."

I was out of my mind when I heard my name.

Cindy PC. "I understand there is one person who is not among us. Have you heard from Miss Kelley O'Hara?"

I saw heads turning to Alex and Christen, who shook their heads.

Cindy PC. "If she ever wakes up, promise me you'll do everything you can to convince her to join this challenge."

The girls and Jill nodded.

After these last words, the Vice President walked out. What I went through next, made me come off my rocker.

Third-person's POV

Everybody agrees that they need to be dealt with. But the team's starting to fall apart.

Ashlyn: "We don't need outsiders on our team! This challenge is about us!"
Megan: "We're the ones who lost! It's up to us to handle this situation."
Allie: "Plus, our clubs are the ones that have closed. Our Federation that humiliated us. We can't let outsiders do our duty!"
Becky: "But we need others!"
Ashlyn: "No way !"
Julie: "I agree with Becky. We lost together! We need backup."
Megan: Bullshit ! We're the best team in the world, and even our bench is worth the starting lineup! Why would we need strangers?
Julie: "Because our future's at stake."

The girls are starting to come to blows.

Julie and Tobin stepped in. "What the hell is this? What happened to Amy and Kelley wasn't enough for you?

Christen and Alex aren't moving an inch.

The future will be decided by a game and they don't flinch?

Megan: "We don't need anyone! We are the best! You young people always prefer to ask others when our honor has been trampled!"
Ashlyn: We are the United States of America! No one will fight for us!"

Suddenly a voice rang out:

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"