Disturbed

Jump in time: February 2019

Kelley's POV

We are a few months away from the World Cup in France. I'm in my camp room. Jill's called everyone in for a national training session. A lot has changed in the last few months.

Thanks to our victory last August, it's been a few months since the Federation cancelled the dissolution of the national team and allowed women to play football again. The European women have returned to their clubs and are preparing for the Champions League. Lyon are favourites, as they are every year.

Here the clubs have all reopened. Julie went back to Chicago, Alex went back to Orlando with Ash and Ali, and Tobin went back to Portland. All the girls went back to their respective clubs. Except for me. I transferred to the Royals in Utah. Christen and I had a rough start, but we're trying to stay focused on football. But I can count on Becky and Amy.

Tobin and I broke the Internet when we went public with our engagement. I got some more cards that Tobin keeps in my closet saying she doesn't want to see them. My wife-to-be is jealous.

We try to see each other regularly, and when we do, we plan our wedding and prepare the papers so we can start our family. Tobin surprised me a few days ago by telling me that she finally wanted to adopt... Before she told me she was talking about a dog...

That memory made me laugh at myself.

I was on my computer looking for a wedding dress when someone knocked. Reluctantly, I got up and opened it.

J: "What took you so long, squirrel?"
K: "Hello to you, too, Julie!"
J: "Can I come in or are you going to leave me here?"

I laugh and step aside to let her in.

J: "So what were you doing? Oh..." she says, looking at my screen.
K: "I was... I was keeping busy waiting for Tobin who should be here soon from Portland."

I turn off my computer after bookmarking the page and lay down next to Julie.

J: "So what's up?"
K: "Well, as you can see, we're planning our wedding. And we're looking for a doctor so we can start a family."
J: "You want to adopt?"
K: "No."
J: "Wow! So who's going to wear? Tell me it's not you?"
K: "Yes..." I said pouting.
J: "You know what they say? Intelligence comes from the mother. So that means that the child will have your genes and your intelligence... My God, he won't be spoiled!"
K: "Buuuuut!"
J: "I hope he'll have Tobin's personality because two squirrels can't possibly be two squirrels! Poor Tobin, she'll have to take care of two kids..."

I give her a black look that makes her laugh, before I start tickling her.

K: "Say you're sorry!"
J: "Nooo!"
K: "Say it!"

Julie's squirming so hard she falls out of bed. Well, maybe I pushed her a little too. But she was looking for it... So it's not really my fault. Is it?

J: "Okay, so where were we?"
K: "You insulted my intelligence."
J: "Have you thought about godfather and godmother?"
K: "Well, godfather no, but godmother yes."
J: "And? Alex?"
K: "No."
J: "Amy?"
K: "No."
J: "Kelley!"
K. "Tobin and I wish it was you."
J: "Excuse me?"
K: "You're forgiven!" I said, laughing at her.
J: "Not that I would mind, but why me?"
K: "Well, because you've always supported me and helped me with Tobin. So you accept?"
J: "Fucking yes!"
K: "Language!"
J: "You're already a real mum!"

The room falls silent and I start playing with my fingers.

J: "What's troubling you, Kelley? Is it the wedding?"
K: "No. Actually, lately I've been thinking Tobin's been a little weird. Not with me, she's perfect. But it's like she's acting like something bad is gonna happen to him."
J: "Maybe it's just fear of marriage."
K: "Maybe I don't know."
J: "Besides, she should have been here a while ago, shouldn't she?"
K: "Yes, I've texted her several times, but she's not answering."
J: "Let's go to dinner. Maybe she's downstairs with the others."

I nodded my head and we went downstairs to the reception room.

K: "Hey girls. Has anybody seen Tobin?"

The girls all nodded their heads and Julie took me by the shoulder to lure me to the buffet to take my mind off things.

Before hesitating between the fried chicken and the curried chicken, I quickly call Tobin but it goes to his voicemail. Strange. Tobin never does this.

I put my phone back in my pocket and grab my dish. I sit between Julie and Alex.

Dinner goes really well and we talk about anything and everything.

When all the plates are done, Jill asks us to come to the conference room to give us an update on tomorrow's practice.

Half of the players are listening while some are dozing and others are on their cell phones. A real high school class.

I was starting to fall asleep too when Rose gave a huge scream. All heads turned towards her.

Carli: "Rose! Why have you pierced my eardrums!"

Rose didn't answer and rushed to the great hall. We all followed her completely confused.

When we finally reached her, she was frozen in the middle of the room.

K: "Rose! Speak at the end!"

She still didn't say anything but pointed to the TV behind me. I turned around and froze in my turn. I felt my legs bending under me as I lost touch with reality.

"ATTACK IN PORTLAND"