My All Stars

Jump in time: 12 years later.

Kelley's POV

K: "I don't want my baby to go!" I cried like a child as I held my daughter in the middle of the airport.
S: "Mamoune please do something!"
T: "I don't want my baby to go!" she repeated the same words I did.
S: "Traitor."
T: "I'm sorry, baby, I don't want to sleep on the damn couch no more!"

Tobin looked at me and I smiled sharply at her.

S: "Mommy, mommy the U-15 camp only lasts ten days. I'll be home soon."
K: "But ten days is a long time... I'm going to miss you, little squirrel."
T: "Me, too. Don't forget to make lots of little bridges for all the people you can."
S: "Of course! I'll miss you two."
A: "I won't miss you!"
S: "I won't miss you either!"

We're walking to the control area but we still have a little time left.

K: "Do we have to remind you of the rules?"
S: "NOOO!"
K: "Say them yourself."

She didn't answer.

K: "Out loud, Skye."

She sighed and rolled her eyes.

S: "No nonsense, no alcohol, no drugs."
K: "And no sex!"
S: "Mummy!"
K: "You're too young and I know you're too young to have sex with me, so no sex or I'll tell Alex!"

Her eyes widened in front of me.

S: "Mommy squirrel..."
K: "Squirrel daughter!"

S: "Yes, no sex!"
K: "Fine. And what's the last rule?"
S: "Don't wear a number other than 5. Yes, I know, Mum..."
K: "Good."

Tobin approached me breathless from chasing Aden who had escaped.

T: "Kelley, when you said no sex, you didn't mean us, I hope."

I gave her the eye when Skye laughed.

S: "I won't be home and my brother will be at Aunt Erin's. So you'll have plenty of time. And at least Mummy doesn't need a battery," she winked at me as I blushed.
K: "Thanks for the information but I don't know what you're talking about."
S: "Oh come on! It's not like I don't know anything about sex. We had classes on it at school and your sister beat you to it by at least two years."
K: "I'm going to have to talk to her, age-appropriate topics."
S: "That's OK, Mum. But make the most of it! Because if you don't get your fix, you're grumpy!"
K: "Who told you that?"
S: "Aunt Erin."
K: "I'm gonna kill her!"
S: "I'm not going to see you in prison."
K: "Anyway, visits are only allowed to family members. Who says you're my daughter?"
S: "Because you think those freckles fell from the sky?

Tobin and Aden laughed next to us.

A: "That's a hell of a line."
T: "She's definitely your baby girl!" she said as she kissed our daughter's head.

But before we could get away from her, she jumped into our arms.

T: "I confirm you are indeed your mother's daughter. You have the same energy."
K: "And for a long time to come."
S: "I'm like the bunny from the battery Duracell you take for your friend, Mom."
K: "Skye!"
T: "What's all this friend stuff? And batteries?"
S: "It's nothing, Mum. Mum's just doing an experiment to find out which batteries last the longest." she laughed as I blushed.

Skye cried out laughing and had to sit in a chair to recover.

T: "Baby? What the hell did that mean?"
K: "It meant I'm really gonna have to talk to Erin."

Our daughter finally got over her moment of laughter.

T: "Anyway, I hope you have the energy of the Duracell Bunny at this camp."
A: "She's got the energy of a dwarf bunny, yeah!"
S: "And you have the intelligence of a Raving Rabbids!" she says as she starts rushing behind her brother.

Neither Tobin nor I had the courage to go after them. They made at least two laps around the area before Aden came to hide behind Tobin's legs.

T: "Skye that's enough now! Or else you're not going!"

The threat had the desired effect.

K. "It's time."

Skye kissed us for the last time and gave her brother a check-up. She gave us a little wave before she disappeared out of our sight.

Tobin, Aden and I drove back to our car and drove to my sister's house.

When we arrived and rang the bell, Erin opened the door. We had coffee and a little chat.

T: "I think it's time to go."
A: "I don't want to stay. I love you,aunt erin,but I want to stay with mommy and mommy. Why can't I go home with you?"
T: "Because we have plans."
A: "Oh, yeah, and what's that? Dinner."

Tobin and I both raise an eyebrow. Aden looked at us one after the other and plugged his ears as he ran into my sister's lap.

A: "Aunt Erin! Save me!"

We all laughed at his reaction.

T: "We don't want anything drooling with us tonight. Otherwise we should have adopted a snail."
A: "I'm not drooling! I just talk a little too fast sometimes."Erin laughed and looked at us while I hoped Tobin would shut up.
A: "Come on, Mommy, go take care of Mommy. Otherwise she's going to be cranky for the rest of the week. Better than Duraccel!"

I watched Erin clapping my son's hand.

K: "Erin, we're really gonna have to have a little talk, you and I."
Erin: "Would the squirrel be embarrassed?"
K: "Yes! And stop talking to my kids about it. You just do yours," I said, sticking my tongue out.

After a few minutes, Aden and Erin kissed us and Tobin and I went home.

As we pushed open the door, silence struck us both.

K: "Just a glimpse of what's going to happen to us in three years when the twins leave for college."
T: "Yeah. At last we're alone, baby," she said, kissing me.

She carried me to our room and we didn't come out until four hours later.

It was dark, but there was no cloud. I quickly got dressed and went out into our garden to admire the stars.

Tobin joined me and wrapped me in a blanket so I wouldn't catch cold. She wrapped her arms around my waist and brought me closer to her.

K: "Look at my love. All the stars."
T: "There are billions of them."

K: "And each one of them represents a piece of my love for you."

My wife put her lips on mine and put all the love she could into that kiss.

'Tobin Powell Heath, you're my All Stars'

____________________

FIN