forty

"Something's weird." Rebecca eyed Jimin as they stood in the elevator. "Something's not right with you." Jimin widened his eyes, looking over at her.

"What?" He asked, completely innocent.

"You're taller." Rebecca crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes as she looked up at Jimin.

"You're just short." Jimin smiled, straightening his back more, looking down at Rebecca. "Tiny."

"You're wearing insoles." Jin pointed at Jimin's boots. "You're wearing your tallest boots and insoles." Everyone laughed, Yoongi nudging Jimin jokingly. Jimin looked down, an obvious blush on his face.

"Jimin." Rebecca laughed softly, hugging him gently. "Don't be upset, I was just teasing." Jimin hugged her back. "You're still cute though." She leaned back, pinching his cheek lightly. BTS lost it.

____

"Do you know what's a good idea." Rebecca spoke as they played slap jack, a calm conversation for an intense game. "Getting more coffee."

"I've already made you like, three cups of coffee." Jin mumbled, Hoseok making sound effects with each card that was flipped, their eyes wide as they waited for the jack to appear.

"Pleaseee?" Rebecca was the only one relaxed while playing, this game easy for her and her reflexes.

"I refuse to fuel your caffeine addiction." Jin smiled while playing, allowing himself to blink. Hoseok glanced over at Rebecca and that's when she flipped her card, the Jack appearing.

"Aha!" She cheered, her hand on top of the jack, Jin and Hoseok's on top of her's. "Losers."

"I'll fuel your caffeine addiction." Hoseok grinned and pulled Rebecca up. "We'll grab lunch too." Jin didn't have time to protest as the two ran out of the apartment, Hoseok smiling widely. "What do you wanna get?" He turned to her as they ran down the stairs, giggles from both of them.

"Dude I don't know what kind of food you guys have here." Rebecca jumped past two steps, gaining a lead against Hoseok. "You choose, I'm just here for the coffee." Hoseok increased his speed, determined to make this race a close one, but of course let her win.

"I think we should get-" Hoseok's eyes widened as his foot caught his own, his body hurtling forward, the feet not leading the motion.

"Hoseok!" Rebecca ran up the steps again, Hoseok rolling on to his back, face twisted in pain. "Geez are you okay?" She helped pull him up to a sitting position, leaning him against the wall. "Hey, hey." Rebecca lifted his chin when he didn't respond. "Look at me." Hoseok forced his eyes open, begging the tears to stay put. "What hurts?"

"My wrist, hip, and knee." He spoke through his gritted teeth. "God I'm so stupid."

"Look at me." Rebecca locked eyes with him, sincerity in her eyes. "You aren't stupid, okay? You only tripped and that's okay. You're going to be okay." She held out her hands, looking at his wrist. "Let me see." Hoseok slowly sat his hand in her's, Rebecca touching the wrist softly.

"Are you secretly a doctor that you haven't told us about?" Hoseok tried to smile, that smile wavering as she slowly moved his wrist.

"No, I got hurt a lot in volleyball." Rebecca nibbled on her bottom lip as she moved his hand slowly. "Well, you aren't wailing in pain so I think you sprained it. But we definitely need to get you to a hospital." She looked down and saw his knee. "You're bleeding my du-" Out of the corner of her eye, she saw that shadow-like figure. Hoseok watched as her head shot to the side, nothing there.

"What was that?" Hoseok frowned, holding his wrist to his chest.

"Nothing." Rebecca didn't dare to make eye contact with Hoseok as she pressed tissues against his knee.

"Becca, did you see something?" Hoseok placed his good hand over her's on his knee. "You can tell me." She closed her eyes and let out a breath.

"Yeah I see things some times." Rebecca stood up, holding out a hand for Hoseok. He took it, Rebecca helping him up gently. "Several years ago I had this nightmare with this shadow guy in it and ever since then I see him out of the corner of my eye all the time. Like he follows me around. That," She looked up at Hoseok. "Is why I'm afraid of the dark."

"There's no one there Becca." Hoseok reassured, Rebecca turning forward and leading him slowly down the stairs. "No one is following you."

"Yeah, that's what everyone says." She talked softly, not making eye contact with him. "At the end of the day, he's still there, haunting me. Thanks for trying." The conversation was silenced after that, an uncomfortable one slowly easing.

Rebecca drove to the hospital, Hoseok giving her directions periodically. She finally spoke when they were in a hospital room, waiting for x-rays.

"Do you think I'm a freak now?"