The Five Steps>Brandon Arreaga 1/5

A/n- The following next five chapters will be over the stages of grief. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

___________________________________

Y/n's POV:

Denial: The action of declaring something to be untrue.

It wasn't supposed to happen this way. We had college plans together, we wanted to buy a house together, we wanted to find love, we wanted to have kids who would end up being best friends just as we once were. We wanted a future together whether it be us who got married or to separate people.

Brandon wasn't supposed to go like this. He hadn't even told me until he was on his deathbed. 'I have cancer y/n.' That's what he told me, his hand in mine as he took his last breath. It's been exactly eight minutes since Brandon passed away and I still haven't let go of his hand.

His mother was sobbing into his father's chest, his arms holding her close. Halie was in a chair, eyes an irritated red from crying.

I was the only one not crying though. Brandon's not dead, he's just sleeping, that's all. He'll wake up, I know he will, he's stronger than that. He'll wake up and tell me everything is alright, that he's not really sick and we can still have a future together.

I smiled, cupping his cheek in my hand as I scooted closer to him.

"B, it's time to wake up." I stroked his cheek with my thumb, patting his chest with my other hand to wake him.

"Come on Brandon. Everyone's worried."

I patted his chest again, leaving where his heartbeat once was. No, he's just sleeping, where's his heartbeat. I looked to Gina and Chris, watching as they watched me.

"B please, I know you're still here, please."

"Y/n, honey." Gina held my shoulder, trying to budge me away from him. "He's--he's gone."

"No Gina, he's not. Can't you see, Brandon's just sleeping okay?" I stood up, pushing her hand off of me.

"No hun, he's not."

I had backed myself into the corner, sliding down the wall with my head in my hands, vision blurry as I sobbed listening to her words. He is not dead. Brandon's stronger than that, I know he is.

I felt arms pull me up and when I looked, Halie, Gina, and Chris were all hugging me. Halie still cried, his parents cried, and I continued crying.

The flatliner beeping behind us as we all held each other, Brandon's body desiccating behind us, the paleness of his skin sickening along with how cold he'd become.

Wc/436

xoxo- Jozlyn:)