Face the music

Sujin told her parents that she won't go home this summer. Mina demanded her kid to go home, but then Sujin told her father about her decision and Bang Chan agreed that Sujin should stay there. Sujin wanted to join a music camp in Seattle, Chan supported her, anything for her music. Mina told Sujin that she can't go to the amp and should be home instead, but Sujin then persuaded her father until he gave her his permission. The last time Mina met her kid was when Sujin went home for Christmas, Mina was always looking forward to her return, but then Sujin wanted to stay there. Mina can't also go there this summer, as the company assigned her to handle a new singer. She's just so mad that Chan let her do the music camp.

Life must continue even when they're both away from their daughter. The time difference makes Mina lack sleep all the time. 16 hours means Mina had to stay up at night to phone her daughter while she prepares for a class in the morning. But Mina would gladly do that as long as she can communicate with her daughter. Then, Mina had to wake up early in the morning sometimes after to catch her train to Gangneung. Most of the time she used her train ride to sleep.

Even though Sujin hoped that Mina and Chan could repair their relationship while she's away from them, it turned out it's just getting worse. Bang Chan rarely went home as he frequently travels overseas, mostly to Japan and China, and Mina took another post at another entertainment agency as a vocal trainer. They only met each other once a week, sometimes at home, sometimes at the office. Or when there's a company party, because Chan always wanted to show up with his wife. It's always that Chan went home late at night, and Mina should go early in the morning. They practically never met.

Their relationship was surely odd for a married couple, but the truth is, Mina and Chan, seem happier this way. When they meet, they could only fight. They could put into a fight at almost anything. Both are fine with this odd marriage. Because Mina still knows her husband more than anyone, she knows that no matter what, he cares about his family, otherwise their marriage won't last for 13 years. Chan as well, even though he may appear to always give her a cold shoulder but Chan is thankful that Mina knows her role as a mother and wife. And Mina never protested his busy schedule. Chan and Mina are both workaholics, they drown their life to their works, especially in a time like this when Sujin is away. Mina should keep busy, so she won't get sad over her daughter.

But sometimes. oh not sometimes but often, their marriage hitting off bricks too many times.

"Sujin told me that she doesn't want to go home, Minari, she wanted to spend time with her new friends there. It's a good thing tho, she's still adjusting there. Why do you always assume that I don't want her around, she's also my child! And I am trying my best to support her"

"Okay, then I'll go there"

"YA! Why don't you respect our daughter's wish? With this attitude you don't give her a chance to grow, you know?"

"OH, that's not the case, I want to see my daughter, and why is it so wrong for you?"

"Mina please, it's been a year, and she just came home 6 months ago. She stays there, and you stay here, end of the conversation. Besides, you'll get a new task, under my contract"

"What? Wait. You never discussed it with me, I am under Division 5, you're the one who didn't want me to be involved in your matters, Chan, remember?"

"Mina, you chose to be a temp here, under this company's contract, so you should do what they told you to do. PD-nim himself wants you to train this new artist, and that's his order!"

Mina is frustrated.

Mina hates when Bang Chan ordered her around. Mina could only take a deep breath while dealing with her husband. Feels like she never once won an argument with him. Mina then closes the door and clenches her fist tight.

She then left Chan's office.

Mina sorts her mind off at the vocal room, the small space always calms her never down. Sometimes she feels that Chan always gave her nothing but a headache. Always. Mina sometimes thinks about things that she gave up on from her youth for Chan. But at the same time, she felt thankful because Mina won't exist without Bang Chan. Bang Chan sort of saved her from her pit hole.

In a time like this, Mina always revisited her memory back when she was in high school until her college sophomore years when she dreamed of colors. Born with a talented voice since her childhood, she had clear goals, she had everything in her hands. Even when she had to live alone in this country, she rarely found any hardships. In high school, Mina was a superstar. Because not only that she's super talented, she was also super smart, she was the star of every musical production in her school, she's humble and she's so beautiful, she was a valedictorian, she got accepted into the most prestigious art universities in South Korea, also got offered a scholarship in K-Arts, but she chose SNU. Mina chose SNU because her idol, Sumi Jo, a South Korean Grammy award-winning opera soloist went there. Sumi Jo was her inspiration.

In her college days, the professors trusted her. She was not just a singer, but an opera singer. It's different for the community. Opera and classical music are treated as the highest, hardest, and superior type of music because not everyone can pursue that. Not to mention that she could act, and she's an excellent dancer, all-rounder they said. Mina can't be just an opera singer, but if she wanted to, she could jump into a broadway industry right away. Mina remembered that her professor asked her to audition for the Korean production of The Phantom of The Opera in her freshman days, but Mina was too timid because she was only a freshman. Life was so smooth for Mina, she never hit bumpy roads that time.

When Mina thinks about her happiest days, sometimes Chaeyoung's face also pops out in her mind. Even when she's also hurt so much because of her. But she knew, at that time, she was so happy with everything that worked out in her life, and there's Chaeyoung beside her who always wholeheartedly supported her. And Chaeyoung also matches Mina's music well. Chaeyoung was one of a rare composer because she could make wonderful classical pieces as well. And Mina loved all her music.

Mina sometimes wonders what could happen if Chaeyoung didn't leave her. If Mina didn't confront her at the top of Space Needle, what if Chaeyoung explained everything, would Mina forgive her as well? All the pain she caused when she just left her years ago, would Mina forgive her that easy?

Mina takes a deep breath once again.

She could only imagine and remember those happy moments because her present is now her daughter, Bang Sujin, who's again living millions of miles away from her. Mina always feels empty even though she always tries to fill her hole in her heart with doing her works, but the truth is she only wants to be with her daughter. But she can't be that way since she's also happy when Sujin is happy. Maybe Sujin is right, it's time for Mina to search for her happiness. Her true happiness.

Mina's done with her complicated mind. It's always a phase of her when she thinks too loud, but in the end, she tries to grasp her realities, and back being a good wife and a good teacher, that's her true nature now.

But.

Mina hates that Bang Chan interferes with her daily life now. How dare he orders Mina around. Mina signed her contract under Division 5, Jihyo's division. Mina doesn't want to be her husband's subordinate. Mina is going to reject the offer.

Mina doesn't want to lose a fight to Bang Chan, if he wants a fight, she should do it fair and square.

Mina angrily back at Chan's office, storms his room without a knock.

"Bang Chan!" She calls out while opening the door.

Not realizing that Chan is having a guest.

Chan is shocked upon Mina's surprise visit. Sure his blood is boiling, but he acts calm since there's another person in the room.

Mina looks at the 2 guests. Feeling sorry, she prepared to make a bow to the guests.

But then she looks at the guests again. No, her eyes fixed on one person.

And her heart suddenly skips a beat.

No, not just a bit.

Feels like the whole world stops.