Shape up or ship out

Chan and Mina left the party in a rush as they got a call from the hospital. Her mother fell and injured her legs. Her mother went hiking with her friends, on her way downhill she tripped and fell. Her friends brought her to the hospital near Bukhanshan.

Mina and Chan arrived, her mother is already at the ward and her left leg is wrapped with a woodblock to stabilize the bone.

Chan opens the door and looks at her mother furiously.

"Mother!" I told you not to hike with your friends!"

Mina then stops Chan from getting mad at her mother.

"Are you okay, Mom?" Mina checked her condition first.

"It's just a sprained, not dislocated or something, I am just tripping, my friends are all overreacted"

"Still mother! I told you not to go!"

"Channie, stop it" Mina stops Chan.

"What did the doctor say, Mom?"

"Well he just asked me to stay here for 2 days for observation, after that he would discharge me"

Chan could only look at her mother in disbelief. Mina knows that Chan can't express his emotion well, he's so worried but, he's also angry, but on top of that she cares a lot about her mother. Chan perfectly told his mother not to hike this morning, but his mother went up there instead, and this happened. The thing that he fears the most is happening.

"Don't worry, I am fine. It just sprained, Channie" Her mother said it to her son.

"What observation?" Chan asked.

"They will take a close look at my bone, just that. The doctors are also overreacting, I am healthy. I think it's just a scam, they wanted to take our money" Chan's mother made a joke

"Mom!" Chan is mad, how can his mother still laugh in this situation.

Chan is sighing.

"Mina, I will stay here, you go home. Tomorrow I will go to Japan, I already packed my stuff, could you please bring it here tomorrow morning?"

Mina nods, "Okay"

"Mina, could you please bring my stuff here as well? I desperately need my charger"

"Okay, Mom"

"Here, take the car" Chan gives the car key. Mina excused herself and left the hospital ward.

Chan then pulls the chair and sits beside her mother. Her mother could only look at him.

"It's rare to see you both come together," Chan's mother asked.

"We were at the company party," Chan said while sitting down.

"Good, it should be like that, husband and wife showed up at a company party together"

Chan is smirking.

"How's Sujin?"

"Hem, I think she's great, she fit in there"

"You think?"

"I don't get a call from her lately"

"YA, CHRISTOPHER!" Chan's mom hit his shoulder. "You're his parents, kids won't call you, your job is to call them! You never called me, fine. But you should call your daughter often!"

"Okay, okay," Said Bang Chan in a sulky tone.

"You should be nice to Mina as well, Channie" Chan's mom said it while trying to sleep.

"She's been through everything because of you, and remember that she helped you a lot during your slump days, you won't be wherever you are now if it's not because of her, you should be nice to her"

"Okay, Mom, okay. Now please get some rest, I hear you a lot" Chan said.

Chan always does things the way he wants and he hates when a person, even her mom interferes with him from doing what he wants. So he always shut the person out.

Chan has a complex personality, he's always hard on himself, always wanted to do his best, even when it made other people get hurt. But actually, Chan has a lot of fear as well, stage fright is just one of them. But Chan covered all his fear with his cold and arrogant aura, the truth is, he's just fragile but he didn't want to show it.

Mina then went home, tomorrow she will take care of Chan's mother, she cancels all of her classes on Monday and went to her mom's house first to pick some clean clothes and other things she asked her to bring. The Mina went home. Feels like a long day to Mina, she's just ended up resting her body on the couch until she feels asleep.

The next morning, Mina goes to the hospital and delivers Chan's things and shifts with Chan to take care of his mother. Chan then says goodbye to her mom, as his Uber comes and picks him up for the airport. Mina then sends Chan off as per Chan's mom requested.

They both walk toward the alley to the alley to reach the front door.

"You know that I went overseas a lot, right?" Chan initiates the conversation first.

Mina hums in answer.

"Hence, please, I beg you to take care of my mother, I mean things like this won't happen if you give her attention and take these matters seriously. She went hiking cause she feels lonely, and she did stupid things after" Chan stop and talking to his wife.

Mina sighs in disbelief.

"Wow, are you blaming me on this? Wow"

"Mina, if you gave up on one of your careers, things like this won't happen, you could stay home, Sujin will be here with us, and Mother won't feel lonely"

"Oh, wow. Who are you saying things like that, Bang Chan? You were never home even when Sujin was here, you didn't know what happened at home. You didn't know what happened at Sujin's school, you didn't know what happened to your mom. You didn't know a thing about your family. Sure, you would use the excuse as the head of the family, but you never there for us, how could you blame things like this on me then, you're a master manipulator, Channie"

"Oh, I am not having this conversation with you about this right now" Chan brushes her off.

"Yeah, of course, that's what you do best. Dodging everything when people talk some sense to you, deciding things that you didn't know for sure what's best, you just do it for your own sake without even thinking about your so-called family. But still, you wanted everything to look perfect as well from the outside. Huh, what a hypocrite you are Bang Chan. You are never here and there for your family! Talking about taking care of your mom, huh?"

Mina is so mad at Bang Chan, she ignores his mother's request to send him off, she's just left him be and turns back to his mom's room. Bang Chan always gets on her nerves every day, and this man would never change. Always be like this. And every day, almost every day, Bang Chan tried to pick the fight with his wife.

Mina takes a deep breath before entering her in-law ward.

And forced a smile to herself. Back at taking care of his mother.

---

Chan goes straight to the airport and meets his team there. He's in a bad mood for sure, just before his departure she got into a fight with his wife. He's been silent during the flight, and after. He just does his work and speaks a little.

Chan is sometimes also frustrated with Mina. Chan came from a privileged background and things always work for him. But at the age of 15 he gave up everything and came to Seoul alone at first to chase his dream to be a singer-songwriter, Chan also a smart kid that he fits in his new life fastly than other foreigners. He's ambitious by nature and gets what he wants with lots of effort.