Weather the storm

Mina is doing laundry at home, the most enjoyable time here. It's always the best time while waiting for her clothes, she would sip her beer outside her balcony or sometimes while watching a cheap comedy that surprisingly made her laugh so loud.

A text message appears on her phone. Chaeyoung sends her an article.

Check out the 9 best-hidden gems restaurant in downtown Seattle!

"Oh, hey Ms. Seattle native, I am sorry but I've been to the 6 restaurants out of that 9 lists" Mina texted the reply

"Okay then, you still have to nail the other 3" Chaeyoung texted back.

Not long after her reply, Mina got a call from Chaeyoung.

"Really? 6 out of 9?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Hem, like I said I'd like to wander alone in Seattle and I found those restaurants you sent me"

"You really hurt my pride as a Seattle native"

Mina laughed.

"Where are you?" Mina asked.

"Me? Han river"

"Oh, why are you there?"

"Don't know, feels like I want to try my new bike and ended up here"

"You know after a long ride, you should eat ramyeon, added with cheese, sausage, even triangular kimbap, whatever it is you see at the mart, just eat it just beside the river. The best. You should really try it, advice from a Seoul native"

"'Whoa, YA! Is that the best advice from you? I was born and raised and also lived here for 20 years as well, it's not a new thing to enjoy a ramyeon at Han river!"

Mina and Chaeyoung both laugh.

Chaeyoung leans herself to the bench while sipping her isotonic drink.

"I miss my mom lately. Funny that I have never met her for the past 30 years, spent my time hating her, but now I miss her"

"You spent her last days with her, and it was enough to bring those memories tho. You are mother and daughter, after all, Chaeng"

"Yeah, right. Do you miss Sujin?"

"Every minute, every hour, every day of my life, and long-distance family relationship sucks"

"I can't imagine. Seriously, 16 hours time difference could kill me an instant"

"Yeah. I could only phone her before I went to work, and hoping that she hasn't slept yet, or I pull an all-nighter to phone her. I really miss her all the time"

"It is hard to be a parent, yes?"

"It is indeed. But Sujin, Sujin was always an easy child since she was a little. And I was so god damn lucky that I have her"

Mina giggled to herself.

"You know, I arrived here when I was 16 years old, I was alone, without my family. Though I have so many friends, it's not the same. I was always alone in the end. When I got pregnant and married to Chan, I already expected him to be away cause we had to hide our marriage. But I am so excited, knowing that I won't be alone again once Sujin was born. Finally, a real family member will accompany me. I really really enjoy my time with her, I treasure her so bad. That's why even though I teach in Gangneung, I would take the train back to Seoul for her. It was hard for me to let her go, millions of miles away from me, at her age. But I gotta support her dream as well"

"Your daughter is lovely, and a good rapper too"

Mina laughed.

"I seriously don't have any idea that she would rap and now she's begging me to have a drum lesson"