Chapter 1

Lorenzo

I watch the fight in front of me with little interest; the two fighters have no potential and their mindless exchange of half-assed punches and kicks doesn't amuse me.

Usually, I like watching humans fight, but only when they show some real skill.

Like her.

Oh, how I miss my Ghost. She was a sight to behold.

When I first saw her, I knew she's not your average fighter. There was this air of confidence and authority she had around her whenever she stepped on the ring.

I loved watching her. She was so strong, so ferocious, so unforgiving.

Her being a gorgeous woman only added to her appeal.

If only she was my mate. She would be an amazing Queen to rule by my side. But, she chose that human, Blake, to be with. I'd rather claim her myself, but if she's happy with him, then I won't interfere.

I sigh tiredly, fed up with those idiots in the ring, and get up from my seat, heading to the office upstairs. I pass few ranked fighters dragging some tipsy girls into the private rooms, shaking my head at their arrogance. I should've never allowed that. Ghost never took anyone to her room. She was too proud to have some noncommittal one night stands in my club. She has too much self-respect to do that.

"You're back already? I thought you were going to watch the fights for longer." My beta and best friend, Alex, frowns in shock when he sees me enter the office. He's been working with me for over 400 years. Loyalty like his is not a common trait recently, especially after the world wars. Humans are like pests, only nice when they need something. Usually it's money.

That's why I decided to give them a chance to earn it. By fighting. I have seen countless fights, thousands of people went through the doors of my clubs and the only thing they ever cared for was a bunch of bills with numbers on it.

There was no one who caught my attention except for Lia.

Yes, I know who she is. But I never admitted to that.

When I first caught her scent, I was immediately mesmerized. She smelled so sweet, so innocent, so tantalizing. It was so hard to pretend I don't know who she is. I found out about her when I went to Walford for some business. I caught her scent and followed it, like a damn stalker, to find out who hides behind that skull mask. I wasn't disappointed. She's a beautiful young woman, with sharp eyes and great instincts. She almost caught me watching her, but thankfully I'm much faster than a human.

Perks of being a werewolf.

I continued to pretend I don't know who she is, slowly gaining her trust and getting close to her. Eventually she revealed her identity to me on her own. It actually made me feel warm inside when she did that.

But then she left to college.

I haven't seen her for months now and I'd never admit it to anyone, but I miss her and her fights. She's a force to be reckoned with both in the ring and in life. That Blake guy is lucky son of a bitch to have a woman like her and to call her his.

"You seem annoyed. Did something happen?" Alex questions as I pour myself a glass of whiskey.

"No. And that's the thing. Nothing amuses me anymore." I sigh, sitting in my chair, spinning it to face the window and the serene view of the city.

"That's unusual for you to say. I thought you liked this." I can tell Alex is confused about my sudden change, but I pay him no mind.

There's a heavy feeling in my chest that I don't know how to alleviate. Nothing works. I think it comes from spending millennia without a mate. I hate to admit it, but I might actually be... miserable.