Chapter 19

Ivy

*beep* *beep* *beep*

The annoying sound is getting on my nerves, making me groan in annoyance.

Wait! Hold on!

Beeping sound?

I force my eyes to open, only to shut them again when the light almost blinds me. I try again, this time slower so my eyes can adjust to the bright lighting.

"Yvette!" I turn my head when I hear a male voice beside me. The man stares at me with wide brown eyes, frowning deeply. Who is this guy?

He reaches out to press a button on the wall, telling me a doctor will be here soon then just stares at me blankly.

"Wh-where am... am I?" I try to speak, but despite my effort, the words come out slurred and barely intelligible.

"You're in a hospital." I blink slowly to get rid of the dizziness then glance around the room. It's pure white and it's hurting my eyes.

I nod at the man then shut my eyes to ease the headache.

After few moments, I hear the door open and a man in a white coat walks in. That must be the doctor. "Hello, honey. I'm Dr. Morris, but you can call me Leon. How are you feeling?" He asks with a warm smile, checking the clipboard attached to the bed.

"Groggy, dizzy... Disor-" I frown when I can't say the word.

"Disoriented?"

"Yeah."

"That's normal. You were sleeping for 3 months."

"What?" I gasp in shock and the beeping sound around me intensifies.

"Honey, I need you to calm down. – the doctor soothingly says – Your heart-rate's picking up and I'd rather not sedate you so soon after waking up." He takes my hand in his gently, rubbing the back of it. The gesture comforts me slightly, but I still feel the panic set in. 3 months? What happened?

"What... what happened? Why I here?" That sounded wrong. "Why am I here?" I repeat. Yeah, that sounds better.

"What do you remember?" The doctor questions with a small frown on his face.

I try to think about anything, but nothing comes to my mind. "M-my name is... Iv- Yvette?... - I slur slowly - I'm twenty... I... I'm a... student?"

"Do you remember what you're studying?"

I pant in fear when the realization hits me. "No." I gasp. "I don't remember."

"Yvette, Yvette please stay calm. There's no need to panic. It's alright." The doctor soothes me again.

"What... happened?" I manage to say.

"You cut yourself! – the man beside me says angrily – That's what happened!" I would flinch at his harsh tone if I could move.

"Sir, if you can't stay calm, I'm going to need you to leave the room. You're agitating the patient."

"Agitating her?! She tried to kill herself!!! – what? – I will not calm down!!! Do you have any idea what you did?! - the man turns to me - What if the press found out about this shit?! Did you even think how this would reflect on me?!" He yells, making me whimper in fear.

"Sir, I need you to leave. – I hear doctor's muffled voice – Security, take him out. ... Yvette, Yvette, honey, calm down, everything's alright. He's gone." I hear snippets of what the doctor is saying, my mind only registering the loud beeping sound.