Chapter 58

Third Person POV

Cade watches as the two humans study the book in Lia's hands, occasionally checking on Alex as he lies on the bed next to his. It's been over two hours since he started giving Alex his blood, along with two other guards, but there's still no improvement.

If anything, it seems to have gotten worse.

"Why don't we go get something to eat? It doesn't look like anything's happening..." Blake suggests after a while.

"Can you bring me something? I'd rather stay here to watch over him." Lia glances at her man over her shoulder, getting a smile from him before he kisses her softly and carefully gets off the bed.

Once Blake is gone from the clinic, Cade turns to the human girl. "I don't think your treatment helped. – he tells her seriously, disconnecting the tube from his arm – He's starting to stink."

"Stink? – Lia sniffs the air – I don't smell anything." She gets up from her bed and goes to check on Alex.

"That's because you're human. Our noses are much more sensitive than yours and I can smell him rot."

"Rot?! – Lia gasps in shock, examining Alex's wounds – Impossible. His heartbeat is steady, there's no puss or any discharge coming from his cuts and he's regaining his color... Are you sure that smell is coming from him?"

"I'm sure. He stinks of decay." Cage wrinkles his nose in disgust, shuddering slightly at the stench coming from Alex's body.

▬ ● ▬

Ivy keeps playing with Lorenzo's short hair as he carries her around the pack, checking on his men and the state of the territory with Thea assisting him. Ever since he and Thea brought Alex to the clinic, he's been restless and agitated, waiting for any news on his Beta with bated breath. However, due to the amount of work that needs to be done in the pack, he had no time to go check up on his friend.

Although he's quite busy, he doesn't release his mate even for a moment, holding her securely against his side. Some of the guards throw curious glances at their king's display of affection, but don't dare to say anything. Anyone knows that aggravating an alpha, especially the Alpha, is a death sentence. You don't get between a wolf and their mate.

"When are the warriors going to arrive?" Lorenzo asks Colin as he checks the armory. He scowls at the sight of the countless silver blades and bullets that were forbidden to use almost a hundred years ago. Armstrong and his pack were going behind his back for quite some time apparently.

"Most alphas have already sent their men. They should arrive by tomorrow, sir." Colin replies respectfully.

"What about the Deads?"

"They're already on their way. Steele is also bringing my weapons, but-" Thea stops suddenly as she tenses up and turns in the direction of the clinic.

"What's wrong?" Ivy asks fearfully, clinging onto Lorenzo.

"Trouble."

"How can you tell?" Lorenzo implores suspiciously.

"I have nine kids, Lorenzo, I can smell trouble from a mile away." Thea grumbles before gasping in shock and rushing to the clinic, using her speed to get there in mere seconds, just in time to stop Alex from killing her niece.

▬ ● ▬

Concerned by Cade's statement, Lia decided to check every wound on Alex's body and search for any signs of infection or gangrene, only to come to a conclusion that nothing is out of the ordinary.