Chapter 34

Ivy

It's finally over...

The unbearable heat is officially over. When I wake up I feel invigorated and unbelievably happy. I get up from the bed and skip cheerfully to the bathroom, humming to myself.

I take a long hot shower and wash myself thoroughly, loving the scent of the new lilac soap Lia bought for me. She sent Blake shopping yesterday, giving him a really long list of things to buy. I'll have to find some way to pay her back for this. She took care of me for the whole week, doing everything for me with no complaints and I want to repay her for all the kindness she showed me.

Once I'm all clean I dress up in the cute flowery dress and a pair of flats then walk out of the room with a joyful spring in my step, heading downstairs, where I find Blake casually prancing around the kitchen.

"Hi Blake!" I greet him with a cheerful grin, genuinely happy to see him.

"Hello. – he smiles – Someone's jolly this morning."

I only nod at him, sitting on the stool by the island. "Yeah, I'm feeling so much better now."

"I'm glad to hear it. It wasn't easy to watch you struggle."

"Thank you... for taking care of me. – I smile gratefully – I don't know if I would be able to survive that thing without you and Lia. By the way, where is she?" I ask curiously, glancing around in search of my friend.

"She's taking a nap. She kept watching Lorenzo for the whole night after his attack..."

"Oh my, I'm so sorry! She must be so tired! It's all because of me..." I bemoan pitifully, feeling bad for troubling Lia so much.

"Don't worry about it, Ivy. – Blake smiles reassuringly – Had Lia not wanted to help you, she wouldn't have, so don't beat yourself over this, okay?"

"I didn't want to bother you two so much..."

"It's no bother. This is what friends do." Blake assures then turns back to the stove.

"What are you making?" I implore curiously when the delicious smell of food hits my nose.

"Fish stew. You said you wanted some." I think I'm melting. I only mentioned it once before and he's already making it.

"How do you know how to make it?" I lean my chin on my palm as I watch him work around the kitchen.

"I learned." He grins teasingly.

"Yeah, but when? I don't think many guys your age like to learn cooking..." I look at him inquiringly, making him laugh in amusement.

"You're right. When I first met Lia, I was hopeless in the kitchen. Literally hopeless. The only thing I could make was cereal and sometimes I would mess up even that. It was only when Lia was staying at a hospital after... an accident that her dad decided to teach me how to make her favorite foods. Ever since then, I would learn new things to make for my girl." Aww, that's so adorable! He learned how to cook for Lia!

"You two are so cute!" I gush, making him chortle.

"We try." He shrugs with a grin.

A sudden wave of loneliness hits me, making me sigh. "Blake... where's Lorenzo?" I ask him quietly, getting only a sad smile from him.

"He's still locked up in the basement. He decided to stay there until your heat is finally over." He says.

"Oh..."

"The door is open so you can go to him if you want." I'm already out of the kitchen by the time Blake finishes his sentence, almost running to the basement. I hesitate for a split second at the door before pushing it with all my might, unintentionally making it bang against the wall with force. I wince at the loud sound, but decide to ignore it as I walk down the narrow hallway between the cells, heading to the last one where Lorenzo is already standing by the bars, watching my every move. The intensity of his gaze makes my heart flutter and I struggle to stay upright.