Chapter 9

Ivy

I should've known. It was too perfect to be true.

I'm so stupid.

I put another spoonful of my favorite chocolate ice cream in my mouth, sobbing quietly as I watch the movie. I try to convince myself that the tears that flow down my face are caused by the death scene playing on the screen and not the fact that I was stood up.

I glance at the dress I chose for the date with disdain, hating how it's going to remind me of today every time I look at it. I shouldn't have believed that a man like Lorenzo would want anything to do with me. He was probably making fun of me, like all the other guys that have ever asked me out.

The first guy to ever play with me like that was my crush from middle school. He was so charming and polite when he asked me on a date that I immediately agreed, all too eager to be with him. He showed up, unlike Lorenzo, but the date was horrible. When he asked me if I had fun, I lied, afraid of offending him. Only then did he tell me that it was all fake, laughing in my face when he saw my shocked expression. He was dared to go out with me.

I still remember the face he made when I cried how cruel he is. He looked... disgusted.

My senior year in middle school was a nightmare because of him and his friends. They constantly brought up the whole date fiasco and made fun of me, getting other kids to bully me.

I had my heart broken three times already. Why did I think this time it would be different?! How could I think that a man like Lorenzo would see me as attractive enough to ask out?

The ice cream disappears much too soon for my taste and I don't have anything else to distract myself with.

"Damn it! – I sob – Today's the worst!"

Just when I'm about to take another tub of ice cream from the freezer, the doorbell rings. Who the hell could it be? Just let me wallow in self-pity.

I drag my feet to the front door, not at all excited at the prospect of having guests. I open it with slow and sluggish moves, not even caring that I look like a disaster in my pajamas and with my hair disheveled.

"Oh my god, Ivy! What the hell happened?" I raise my head at the sound of Lia's worried voice.

And the dam breaks.

I start sobbing again, dropping my head to avoid Lia's gaze. She quickly walks inside, closing the door behind her, and pulls me into her arms, just letting me pour it all out as she pats my head soothingly.

We stand by the door for what feels like forever as my never-ending stream of tears wets Lia's shirt. She doesn't ask. She doesn't stop me. She doesn't judge.

She just lets me cry into her shoulder.

After a while, I pull away from her, wiping the remnants of my breakdown off my face with the sleeve of my pajama top. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assault you like that. I ruined your shirt." I hiccup in shame, not daring to look Lia in the eye.

"It's fine. It's just a shirt, I can get a new one anytime. You're more important now." She pats my head then gently strokes my messy hair.

"D-Did you need something?" I sniffle, heading to the small kitchen to get a drink, with Lia following after me. I need a drink after all this crying.

"I wanted to invite you to our movie night, but I'm not so sure now..." She trails off.

"I'm sorry, I know I'm a mess." I apologize, glancing shyly at my friend, only to see her already staring at me, looking bewildered.