Chapter 8

Lorenzo

I asked her out. I know it might've been too fast, but I just couldn't stop myself. After millennia spent alone, I finally found my little mate and I'll be damned if I let her get away.

"Someone looks happy." Alex comments as he works on his laptop. I was unable to wipe the grin off my face the whole way here, so it's no wonder he noticed the change of my mood. "What happened?"

"I found my mate. – I grin when I see his eyes bulge out – And I asked her out."

"Already?!" He shrieks before clearing his throat. "I mean, already? Isn't that a bit fast? Who is she?" He gives me a skeptical look.

"She's human, that's for starters. I need to get close to her the traditional way. If I just suddenly told her she's mine cause she's my mate, she'd freak out. – I shrug, pouring myself a drink – I met her yesterday." I smile fondly at the memory of my little mate in that cute little top and jeans.

"Yesterday? – Alex trails off confusedly – But you were at the..."

"At the club, yeah." I nod, plopping down on the couch in front of my friend and Beta.

"Woah, woah, woah... hold on! – he puts away his laptop and gives me his undivided attention – You met your mate at the club?" He implores, sounding absolutely dumbstruck. I understand his reaction, I didn't expect it either.

"Yep. And you'll never guess who was with her." I smirk.

"Who?"

"Try guessing. You're the one that accused me of following her across the country." I almost laugh when Alex's jaw drops comically.

"GHOST?! She was with Ghost?" He exclaims in shock.

"No, she was with Lia." I correct, amused at my beta's reaction. Lia may be Ghost, but it's like they're different people. Lia is a compassionate, caring woman while Ghost is a ruthless fighter who exists only behind that skull mask.

Alex only gives me a deadpan look, as if to say 'what's the difference', but I don't bother saying anything else, making him shake his head and get back to working on his computer.

I sip on my drink, thinking about my little mate. Ivy. Such a sweet little thing she is. So petite and tiny, especially compared to me. She's like a foot and a half shorter than me.

When I saw her at that club, so frightened and trembling, all I wanted was to gather her in my arms and carry her out of there, away from everyone. I wanted to hide her so no one would get her again.

But then I realized how much that would scare her. If I gave into those desires, I wouldn't be her protector, I would become her captor. She wouldn't understand why I feel so strongly when it comes to her... She would be afraid of me.

I'd hate to have her hate me.

When she bumped into me, I was so lost in her gorgeous eyes that I barely heard her voice even though she was standing right in front of me. Only when she grabbed my jacket was I brought back to reality. I pushed back all my thoughts and focused on the situation she asked me to help with. But I still couldn't find it in me to release my mate's hand. The sparks that kept running through my body at the contact were... heavenly. And it pained me to let go of her.

I glance at the window when the first sunlight hits the room, only now realizing it's already morning. Which means I have around 12 hours before I see my mate again. So long.

I take my phone from the coffee table, sending a text to the manager of the hotel to close off the first floor and recreation area for the whole day and contact the kitchen to tell them to make a new menu for today. I wonder what my little mate likes to eat...

I smirk when I realize I have a perfect source of information.

I catch Alex's questioning glance over his laptop, but I ignore it, getting off the couch and walking to my bedroom, but not before refilling my glass. As soon as I close the door of my room, I put my drink on the dresser and take off my shirt, craving the feeling of the morning air on my skin. I take my glass and go to the terrace, where I stand by the railing, leaning against it. I light up my cigarette and set down my glass, dialing Ghost's number, since I don't have Lia's private one.

"I will gouge your eyes out, Lorenzo." I laugh at the grogginess and anger in Lia's voice. She doesn't even bother to use that adorable British accent of hers as she threatens me.

"Were you sleeping?" I tease knowingly.

"What do you think?! – she sneers – What do you want?" She sleepily asks.

"I need information and you're the only person who can provide it." I state vaguely, getting only silence in response. I wait for a moment for her to respond, only to get to conclusion that she fell asleep again. "Lia? You still there?"

She hums quietly. "What? Damn it, it's too early for me to think." She murmurs, but I get a feeling she's talking to herself rather than me. "Okay, what information do you need? I'm not in the mood for games and I want to get back to cuddling with my man." I chuckle at this. She's still as straightforward as always.

"What does Ivy like to eat?" I get straight to the point.

Lia's reaction is immediate. She bursts out laughing and after a moment there's a loud thudding sound. She either dropped her phone or fell out of bed.

She fell out of bed. I think when I hear Blake's boisterous laughter over the phone. "What the fuck did you tell her?" He laughs through the phone while Lia still giggles in the background. GIGGLES! Who knew Ghost can giggle...

"I asked her something." I reply to Blake, not getting into detail.

"He asked me what Ivy likes to eat! – Lia laughs – He called me at fucking dawn to ask what she likes to eat! Hahaha!" If I could blush, I would. Cheeky woman, making fun of me so blatantly.

Blake chuckles in amusement then gives the phone back to Lia, who's slightly calmer now. "Okay, okay. I'll tell you, but you'll have to tell me why you want to know that in the first place." I can tell she already has an idea why I asked her, but she still wants me to admit it out loud.

"You already know the answer, you witch. Just tell me." I tell her with a chuckle. Cunning woman.

"Fine, fine. Ivy's a pescatarian. You know what it means, right? – Lia asks teasingly, clearly enjoying making fun of me – I don't know if she has favorite food, she always orders different things when we go out. Oh, and she likes her coffee white and super sweet." I take in Lia's words, staring into the distance as the sunlight brightens the city.

"Thanks."

"Lorenzo. – she stops me right before I hang up – She's my friend." Those three words are all I get before she hangs up. The warning behind them is clear.

Like I would ever do anything to hurt my mate. The mere idea of harming the other half of my soul is abhorrent to me. I may be possessive when it comes to her, but I'll never let any harm come to her.

She's mine. And that means she's under my protection. Forever.

Hey, guys!

Just a short chapter today, cause I'm freakishly busy lately and I don't have much time to write. I had to move out of my apartment, cause I can't exactly pay for it without a job, and I'm in the middle of moving all my stuff from one place to another. Hope you can forgive me. I'll post new chapters as soon as I'm set in my new place.

Love you tons! 🧡🧡