Chapter 29

Onyx

I keep my mate caged in my arms, taking in her sweet scent greedily. Lorenzo, that damn human, kept me away for too long. I crave my mate as much as he does, yet he still didn't let me out.

Guess what?

I'm the one in control now.

I will be the one to mark our mate.

I will be the one that takes care of her.

She's mine now.

"Wolfie?" My little mate asks cutely, making me chuckle quietly. I've never been called that, but if that's her wish, I can be a 'Wolfie'.

"Yes, my queen?"

"Queen?" She scrunches her nose adorably as she giggles at the name.

"Yes. You're my mate. That makes you a queen."

"Why?" She implores curiously. I nuzzle my nose further into the crook of her neck, taking in her scent as I speak.

"Because we're the king and you're ours." I trace the slender column of her neck with my lips, peppering feathery kisses all over her soft skin. I can hear the change in my queen's heartbeat and breathing and I growl lowly when I realize she likes what I'm doing to her.

"I want to mark you so bad right now. – I say huskily, almost panting in desire – I want to make you ours. May I mark you, my queen?"

My mate tenses momentarily, but soon relaxes in my hold. She turns her head and presses a small kiss to my cheek. "You may." She whispers. I don't miss the cute blush on her cheeks as she says that. She's so unbelievably adorable!

I help my mate straddle my legs without removing my lips from her neck then trace kisses all over it, searching for that special spot that will bear my mark. When Ivy moans quietly I know I've found it. "This will hurt, my love." I warn softly, tightening my arms around her tiny frame to keep her in place.

"I know."She whispers in response.

I only nod then push out my canines and bite down onto Ivy's neck. She whimpers in pain, squirming to get away, but I don't release her, letting my venom surge through her veins. Because of that stupid fuck that tried to mark her, it will be more painful for my queen than it would be if she wasn't marked before. My venom will overtake the one from that asshole alpha, but the process is quite difficult and my poor little queen will be hurting for a while.

I pull away from my queen's neck and lick off the remaining blood, effectively sealing the wound.

"That hurt..." My little mate cries out and my heart breaks.

I wipe the tears off her face with the pads of my thumbs, cupping her face gently. "I know, my queen, I know. But it's over. You'll be alright now." I reassure her, kissing her head lovingly. It's over. She's mine now. She won't die.

"I'm tired." Ivy mumbles sleepily, falling onto my chest. I cradle her in my arms, letting her rest.

"I'll take you to bed, okay? Everything will be alright now. We'll take care of you." I whisper into her ear, getting a slow nod in response before Ivy falls asleep.

I gently reposition my little queen so she's lying in my arms like a baby and just sit on the bench for a while, enjoying the feeling of her small body against my chest. I have one of my arms around my Reina's back and use the other to caress her cute face as sleeps in my embrace. At last, I can have her for myself.

Finally she's here.

And I'm going to make sure she stays here.

The only thing I'm worried about now is her unavoidable heat. I don't know how I'm going to stay away from her when it comes. The need to seal the mate bond is unbearable, Lorenzo and I have seen many wolves go batshit crazy in need to mate their females. Some think that it's the females that have it hard during heat, but it's the male that has his sanity put to a test.

Of course, there are other things about the heat that should be known. For one, human mates go through it differently than wolf mates. They feel heightened sexual drive and they stay feverish throughout the heat, but that's all. Wolves, however, experience not only those two symptoms, but also increased irritability and compulsive shifts, mainly because they feel the bond more than humans. That's also why it's very rare for wolves to go into heat. They tend to seal the deal the same day they mark each other. But sometimes the heat takes place and it's not pleasant. Female wolves can shift back and forth uncontrollably even hundred times a day. Without someone to take care of them, they can tire themselves to death. It only happened a few times in history, but that doesn't mean it can be overlooked. Death of a mate is the most horrible thing that can happen to a werewolf. No wolf can bear the pain of losing their mate. The best case scenario is when the wolf kills himself, since it both takes away their pain and stops them from becoming a rogue. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

There have been countless instances when the bereft wolves went on killing sprees after the loss of their mates. And it was our duty as Alpha King to deal with them.

We have so much blood on our hands. I sigh heavily, pulling my mate closer to my chest. I need the reassurance that her presence provides.

I can only pray she will accept us as hers. There's a lot of darkness in our life, but I can't let my queen go. She's the only one that can get rid of the pain we've been feeling for so many years now.

After I don't know how long, I pick my mate up and walk back to the house, not even caring about the wheelchair left behind. I'll get someone to bring it to the house later. Thankfully, every worker here is a human, so they won't get in my way during my queen's heat. Neither I nor Lorenzo would ever trust wolves to be around our mate. She's ours!

I don't miss the looks I get from the maids as I carry my unconscious Reina to our bedroom. They stare at my mate with so much disgust and jealousy it makes my blood boil. If they can't contain themselves, I'll have to throw them out. No one has the right to look at my queen in such way.

I lay my little mate on the bed and tuck her in before sitting on the edge of the bed. I don't want to leave her when she's so vulnerable. I know I'll have to at some point, but not yet. I want to be here with her for as long as possible. I can't leave her in care of those damn maids working here. I don't trust them.

There's only one person I can entrust my mate's safety to.

That human girl Lia.

I guess it's time to call her. I get out my phone from my pocket and unlock it. Lorenzo has set up our mate's birthday as the password, so I don't have a problem getting in. I used to have a phone of my own in the past, but we found that there's no point in that. I can contact every alpha through the mind link, since we're all connected, and Lorenzo takes care of everything else. I don't like mingling with humans.

"You guys done already?" Lia teases as she picks up the phone without as much as greeting. Cheeky woman.

"Yes. – I tell her – Come back."

"Say please." She orders, getting an annoyed growl from me. She knows I won't let anyone but her stay with my mate and uses it against me.

"Please." I gruffly say.

"Good boy! – she laughs – We'll be back in an hour." With that she hangs up and I shake my head at her ridiculousness.

There's something strange about that girl. I hate humans, I detest having to deal with them, but this one girl is different. And I can't pinpoint what it is. I'm drawn to her, I'm calm when she's around and I don't mind her company. I can tell she's in no way related to my mate by her scent, but it's still bizarre how much I enjoy being around her and interacting with her. On many occasions I pretended to be Lorenzo as I was watching her fights or talking to her. She never noticed, obviously.

The thing is, I don't even know why I'm so into her. It doesn't make sense for me to be attracted to a human woman who's not my mate. Especially after meeting my mate. Any feelings I had for that girl should've disappeared the second I felt the mate bond.

But they didn't.

And it's weird.

And I hate anything weird.

Which is why Lorenzo and I have to get to the bottom of it.

I want no surprises.