Chapter 16

Ivy

I try to keep my tears at bay as I tell Lorenzo that I can't do this with him. I have no idea why, but it physically pains me to do that. There's this ache in my chest that increases the longer I keep my eyes off the man, and I'm this close to giving in.

But I can't.

I can't let him hurt me again. I know I'm probably overreacting, but I don't want to go through heartbreak again. The whole experience with Lorenzo standing me up, my dad trying to force me to move back home and hurting me, taught me that I can depend only on myself. I was naive before. I was weak.

But I won't be anymore.

I won't let anyone hurt me again, even if it means being alone. I don't need anyone anymore. I'm better off alone.

"Love, please look at me." Lorenzo pleads brokenly from behind me and as much as I don't want to look at him, the pain in his voice tugs at my heartstrings and I turn to him.

The ache in my chest intensifies at the sadness in Lorenzo's honey eyes. I watch stunned as a lone tear falls down his cheek before disappearing in his beard.

And the waterworks start.

I burst out sobbing when the pain in my heart becomes unbearable. My body starts shaking as I cry, burying my face in my free hand, not wanting Lorenzo to see me like this.

After a moment, I'm pulled into a pair of big arms and pressed against a warm chest. Lorenzo starts rubbing my back and whispering sweet nothings into my ear as I cry into his shirt, desperately grasping onto it with my free hand. His warmth and comforting touch brings me more peace than I'm willing to admit. Why does this man have such effect on me? Why does he affect my feelings so much?

"It's okay, love. Just let it all out. I'm here for you." Lorenzo murmurs with his soothing voice. How am I supposed to resist this man?!

I stay in his embrace for a long time, feeling extremely comfortable in his arms. He doesn't say anything more, just assures me that he's here for me and that he'll take care of me. Why would he do that for me is a mystery, but I'm too tired to argue with him.

When I'm finally feeling better, I pull away from him, wincing when I see the wet spot I made on his shirt. Oh god, I'm a mess.

"Thank you. And sorry." I quietly say, feeling both grateful for the gesture and embarrassed for letting him witness my weak moment.

"Don't worry about it." He smiles reassuringly, but there's still this unexplainable pain in his eyes when he looks at me.

Lorenzo gets off the bed and sits on the chair beside it, his mesmerizing honey eyes never leaving mine. "Love, can you talk to me? I really want to help you."

I think about this for a moment. I don't really have anyone else to talk. Lia isn't back from LA yet and I don't want to bother her when she's busy.

"I... I don't know what to say." I speak after a while, keeping my gaze on the blanket on my legs.

"Why don't you start at the beginning? What happened yesterday?" I visibly flinch at the mention of my brawl with dad and Jake. I don't want to think about it again.

"My dad wants me to go back to Colorado with him." I admit, glancing unsurely at the man beside me.

This seems to anger Lorenzo as his expression hardens. "Why?"

"He's... not happy with me." I don't want to say it's because he doesn't approve of my friends.

"How come?" Lorenzo seems positively confused by this. Why doesn't understand?