Chapter 48

Lorenzo

After the visit at Alpha Kingston's pack, I drive my sweet Ivy and the lovebirds back to my house, trying my hardest to ignore Lia's snores in the backseat. She fell asleep the moment she got in the car, and so did Ivy.

I can't wait to do the same.

This whole day was exhausting. All I want is to take my mate to bed and go to sleep.

I can't stop thinking about what we've all talked about earlier. There's a possibility that Armstrong is alive and that he's an Undead. If that's true, then this is much worse than I anticipated.

Not to mention... Alex.

Four hundred years! He's served me for four hundred years! He's been my friend for FOUR HUNDRED YEARS!!!

I can't believe I was so blind that I didn't see his true colors. How could I not notice that he conspired against me?! He's been by my side for so long...

"You're growling." I hear Blake comment from the backseat. I glance at him through the rear-view mirror, only to see him covering Lia's ears as she sleeps snuggled into his chest. "Are you that mad?"

"You can bet I am. – I huff – Can you fucking blame me? My most trusted friend may be trying to overthrow me and the man who hurt my mate might be alive and unbelievably strong, and we still don't know who else is working with them. Of course I'm fucking mad." I snarl, barely restraining myself from blowing up.

"Quiet! – Blake hisses – You'll wake them up!" I can't help but scoff at the cheeky human. He dares scold an Alpha King!

"You're un-fucking-believable. – I shake my head – You actually told me to be quiet..."

"It's for your own good, Lorenzo. – Blake chuckles – Lia doesn't like to be woken up."

I couldn't stop the laugh that leaves me even if I wanted to. I know from experience how grumpy Lia is when someone suddenly wakes her up and as funny as it is, I'd rather avoid it.

I don't want to make Lia angry. She's my little queen's best friend.

It's best to stay on her good side.

Once I reach my house, or should I say our house, I park the car in the big garage then gently pick up my sweet Ivy and carry her inside, heading straight to our bedroom while Blake carries Lia.

I carefully lay my mate on our bed and tuck her in with a loving smile on my face. She's so small and cute I almost melt by just looking at her. How can someone so perfect even exist? She's so painstakingly beautiful and innocent I can't help but think I don't deserve her.

Because I don't.

I will never be worthy of her.

But I will try to be.

"I will spend the rest of eternity trying to be worthy of you." I whisper lovingly, pressing a small kiss to Ivy's head. I keep stroking her hair softly as I watch her sleep. There's just something about watching her that brings me peace and comfort. The way her eyelids flutter, the way her nose twitches cutely as she dreams about god-knows-what, the way she mumbles in her sleep. Everything about her is absolutely enamoring.

After a while of watching my cute little mate, I decide to let her sleep in peace and go to my office, but not before giving my love another kiss on her head. "I love you, my queen." I whisper quietly then get off the bed and walk out of the room.

I'm a bit surprised to see Blake waiting for me in front of my office, but I make sure to not let him see it. He's leaning against the wall opposite to my office's door, with his hands shoved into his pockets as he stares at the floor blankly.