Chapter 49

Lorenzo

ALEX?!

What the fuck?!

"Alex?! What are you-" I don't even manage to end my sentence before the call is cut off. I try dialing the number again, but it doesn't go through. It's not Alex's number. I know it by heart, so I know it's not his phone.

What the hell is this?

I've never heard Alex so scared. He sounded absolutely terrified. I've known him long enough to catch it.

Is this a trap? Or was I wrong about him being a traitor?

I try calling the number three more times, but it doesn't work.

Something's not right.

I quickly take out my phone and call Cade, the head of the Special Forces, also known as King's Guard. "I need you to track a number. Do whatever it takes to find it." I order before giving him the number.

I keep pacing around my office as I wait for Cade to call me back. I have a really bad feeling.

After few minutes, my phone rings and I immediately pick up the call. "Where is it?"

"Colorado, sir. We're still trying to pinpoint the location, but we should have it ready in about half an hour. What are the orders, sir?"

"Once you know the location, get the team ready. Report as soon as you know something."

"Yes, sir."

Sleep is completely forgotten as I think about the outrageous situation I'm in right now. I was just called by Alex from some random number, asking for help. What is the meaning of this?!

"Ren?" I spin around when I hear Ivy's sleepy voice, only to see my sweet mate standing in the doorway, rubbing her eyes sleepily. "What's wrong?" She asks worriedly, walking up to me.

"It's nothing, my love. – I school my expression so she doesn't see the distress on my face – Why don't you go back to sleep? You look exhausted." I gently cup her cheek, stroking it with my thumb.

"Don't lie to me. – Ivy warns sternly – I know something's wrong. I can feel it." Fuck, I completely forgot that she can actually feel my emotions now.

"I just got a distress call... from Alex." I tell her honestly, ignoring Onyx as he berates me for trying to lie to our mate.

"Alex? But didn't he... betray you?" Ivy winces uncomfortably, sounding genuinely confused.

"I don't know anymore. I already called the head of the King's Guard and told them to check it out. Now all I know is that the call came from Colorado." I reveal, making Ivy gasp in pure shock as she stares at me wide-eyed.

"Colorado?" She breathes out. "That's where Jake is from. And my dad... Ren, what if... what if my dad is really involved in this?" I see her chin tremble as she tries not to cry.

"I'll find out what's going on, my love. – I promise – Please don't cry, it pains me to see your tears." I feel as if my heart is being ripped apart at the sound of my queen's sobs.

"Ren, what do we do?!" She cries out, clutching onto my suit as she buries her face in my chest.

"We'll figure it out, my love. I promise you, everything will be okay."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, Ren. I'm not naive. This is bad. We were wrong about Alex! And now we don't even know who's after you!!!" Ivy wails, breaking my heart even more. I can clearly feel her despair. She's terrified, worried and sad.