Chapter 14

Lorenzo

My heart feels like it'll beat its way out of my chest as I drive back to Berkeley. It's been fucking weeks since I was last here and I can't believe I'd ever say this, but I miss this place. I think it's because my mate is there.

I can't wait to see her.

I've been trying to find out why those rogues and humans had the Alpha King's emblem on them, but my effort was fruitless. Almost every human had their tongue cut off and the wolves didn't know who was behind the attacks. This is getting really messy.

Just as I enter the city, there's an unsettling feeling in my chest, a heaviness that restricts my lungs to the point of being painful. And I have this uneasy feeling it's connected to my mate.

There's something wrong with Ivy.

I speed through the streets of Berkeley, heading straight to Ivy's apartment complex, cursing at every slow driver that stops me from reaching my destination. It would be so much faster to just run, but how can I do this in the city filled with people?! I don't need anyone prying into 'why is there a wolf running down the streets of Berkeley'? The werewolf community must remain a secret from humans. Revealing ourselves could end up in a war. Humans aren't exactly fond of beings different than them.

As soon as I reach the building my little mate lives in, I'm hit by a wave of anxiety, which definitely isn't mine. Ivy!

I hastily park the car then rush to the emergency staircase, using my speed to get to the top floor. But when I pass the floor below it, I hear screams. "Ivy!" "Yvette!"

I burst through the door, nearly ripping it from its hinges and watch horrified as Ivy's chocolate eyes roll back and her body sways. I don't care about anything anymore and and rush to my mate to catch her body before it hits the ground, pushing the two men that are in my way with a lot of force, sending them crashing against the walls. "Ivy!" I breathe out anxiously, cupping her face as I cradle her in my arms, kneeling on the floor with her body secured tightly in my embrace.

I don't miss how her shoulder is out of place and the smell of blood surrounding her almost makes me nauseous. My poor mate is hurt.

I snarl at the two men in front of me with pure fury when I see the harsh scowls on their faces, the younger one holding what seems to be a belt. Did he fucking hit her with it?! "Who the fuck are you?!" I growl at them, getting up with Ivy in my arms, holding her bridal style against my chest.

"I fucking knew it!" The older man yells furiously, glaring at my unconscious girl. "I sent her here to study and she's whoring around!" I growl at him, tightening my hold on my mate to stay grounded and not rip his head off, like Onyx is telling me to.

"How dare you speak of her this way?!"

"I'll speak about my daughter however the fuck I want!" Daughter?! This monster is Ivy's father?

"I don't care who you are. – I sneer – You'll never speak about my girl this way." I make sure to use my alpha command on him, slightly enjoying the nervous looks that cross his and the other man's faces. They gulp loudly then avert their gazes from my furious one.

"Honey, you might want to take Ivy to the hospital. She's really hurt." I turn to the older woman beside me when I hear her worried voice.

She's staring at my little mate with a concerned frown which turns into a glare when she turns to the other men. "They were trying to drag her away and hurt her. I called the cops, so why don't you take Ivy away and I'll deal with those suckers." I almost smile at the feisty woman in front of me.