18. Worst day

They were both looking at each other, lost in their world forgetting others. He was looking deep into her eyes. His breath fanned on her cheeks, sending a tingling sense of delight down her system.

The camera flashes and the sound of clapping brought her back to her senses. She wriggled out of his hold, licking her lower lip in nervousness. She could feel the heat on her cheeks due to his proximity.

He was watching her and let her go slowly. She chimed in a sweet "thank you" to others and ran off the stage quickly.

He watched her go and get busy with other students. But suddenly his dull mood had now changed to a happy one.

Just a little presence of her and he was feeling relaxed.

She walked away from the crowd, looking for her friend whom she had just left to receive her trophy. She asked the other classmates about Ritika but they were also clueless. They began to congratulate her on her achievement.

She dialled Ritika's number to know about her whereabouts. Ritika received her call after 2 rings.

"Ritika, where are you??" Samaira asked.

"In the canteen with Rishi, you too come fast." She replied but Samaira couldn't hear her properly due to the loud music system booming near her.

"Hello... What are you saying??? Ritika!!!" And the call got disconnected. She was going to call her again but her screen blinked up with her message.

"Come to the canteen."

"Okay, coming." She replied and put her phone in her trouser pocket.  She was walking through the hallway towards the canteen when someone called her.

She turned to find Professor Mishra coming towards her. She quickly looked around feeling a little uneasy.

"Come to the lab, I have work for you." He said looking at her from head to toe. She shifted a little on her legs.

"Sir, now? What sort of work??" She asked not sure what it could be.

"I need to put a few pieces of equipment back in their place. Some students left them scattered. Come fast and help me before someone ruins them. You know how costly these things are, right?" He laughed looking at her. She didn't find it funny. Instead, she looked around to get some help or think of an excuse.

"Umm... Sir... I was going to...." She stammered. She didn't know how to lie in front of him. He was her professor. She disliked how lowly it made her feel to behave like that.

"It will just take 10 minutes. Don't give lame excuses, come fast." He said sternly. Had he got a hunch of what she was trying to do? She was not even coming to the lab, instead making an excuse every time he called her.

She nodded and followed him helplessly. She didn't know why, but her heart was beating fast. She was sweating and a negative feeling was reeling in her heart.

"You go and put all the chemicals back to the original place. I'll do something else." He ordered her and walked towards the cupboard taking out some files.

She put her trophy, which she was holding, aside and began to keep the chemicals carefully. There was no one else in the lab.

She couldn't see - someone smirked at the plan he had made carefully.

"Just do this quickly, and leave. " She assured herself to stop the negative thoughts from coming to her mind.

She was engrossed in her work. After about 5 minutes, she finished her work and turned to go, taking a long breath in relief.