One Step Ahead

Aithne Blaize Falcon

"I need you to give me your word that you will not tell a soul about my mother." My sisters are already waiting for me at the back of the school, but I stayed behind for a while to confront the headmistress.

We gave her the information about the four of us and so far that secret is kept safe, but that doesn't mean I will entrust her with the knowledge about my mother.

"Don't worry, not even the faculty will know. My lips are sealed." She stated.

I stared into her eyes for a good amount of time just to make sure she's not faltering. When I made sure about that, I turned my heels to head to where my sisters are.

We chose to exit the academy through the back so that we won't catch too much attention. Students are probably tucked in their beds now but we can never be so sure.

"Are you ready?" I asked as soon as I reached them. They all nodded in unison so we all held on to our cloaks and put on their hoods.

It's just the four of us here. We sent Mom back to the palace and we needed the headmistress to stay within the building to make sure no one wanders around while we're teleporting.

"Et eamus in, The Jade Forest." We were engulfed in a huge white ball until it sucked us out of the school. The next thing I knew, we were already facing a valley of trees and plants.

Green was the first word that popped up in my mind. Everything was green, the air was undeniably fresh and the place was lulling.

"Holy shit! So much energy!" Caprice exclaimed.

I saw how excited she was by the thought of coming here and now that she has step foot on its grounds, she couldn't help but be bewildered by everything. This place is, afterall, under her domain.

"Let's get moving." We can't waste too much time. As much as I want to feel the forest's energy as well, we're here for different matters.

"The place is unusually quiet." Aria commented.

"Paano mo naman nasabi 'yun?" Caprice furrowed her brows as she faced Aria, "Ngayon pa lang kaya tayo nakapunta rito."

"No, she's right, something's off." Mom said mystic animals reside here in the Jade forest, so there should be at least chirping birds and rustling bushes from different areas, but there's none of that. The only sound I can hear are our footsteps.

"Stay vigilant." They simultaneously nodded their heads as we continued to search for those three superiors.

They're superiors so they could've handled this easily because this is just a B-class mission, but our insights concluded that something might've happened to them, just means that the enemy is not to be underestimated.

"Aithne, natanong mo ba kay Mom kung paano niya naramdaman ang pagkabagabag ng gubat?" Raine's words made me stop on my tracks.

She's right, I never asked Mom how she felt that. Now that I think about it, I really should've asked, because even if she obtains the strongest power, feeling activities under the elements' domains are out of her jurisdiction.

"Her connection to the forest must be personal, if that's what you're wondering about." That's the only answer I could conjure up. If she did feel something, it means that she has a direct connection to the forest, or to whatever disturbed it, and I'm better off with believing the former. But if there is a possibility of the latter, then I need to come up with something immediately.